Sign in to follow this  
ratherbhunting

2009 Oct. buck

Another season has come and gone leaving only the memories. Opening morning found me glassing my favorite spot. I didn’t see much so I worked my way back to the truck. My dad said he had seen a couple of small bucks one being a little basket head. Me and my brother hiked over for a closer look. We jumped the bucks up and one was a little 2x3. I had a 290 yard shot at him but decided not to shoot. It was only opening day and I was confident I could find him again if I needed to. We decided to go back to camp to grab a quick bite to eat. On the way back my brother said he wanted to shoot his gun at 400 yards to make sure it was on. I decided to fire off a few shots also. We were both hitting where we were aiming. My brother suggested we take a few shots at 600 yards. I had never shot that far before. The buck I killed last year was around 500 yards and that was the furthest one I had killed. So we picked out a shiny rock about the size of a volley ball on the side of the hill 618 yards away and shot 3 times each at it. I hit it 3 out of 3 times and my brother hit it 2 out of 3 times. I was pretty impressed!! We have the burris scopes with the hash marks so it makes it nice for the longer shots. Saturday we saw a quite a few does and a few small bucks. Sunday morning found us back at our glassing spot. My brother spotted a nice 3 pt running with a pretty nice 2 point. We watched the bucks until they went down into a canyon. We kept glassing trying to see if we could find anything else. It was starting to get late in the morning and we were coming up with a game plan to go after the bucks when I picked up the pair on the ridge closest to us. The 2 pt bedded near the top of the ridge about 1000 yards away, but the 3 pt kept going down the hill. I had a good feeling about our chances of killing the buck. He finally bedded down we ranged him at around 800 yards. We agreed that I would take the shot because I had to go home and back to work and he had taken the whole hunt off. Because of his location and the terrain I was only able to get to 550 yards. I found a big bolder to lay my pack on for a great rest and my brother spotted me. I asked him if he was ready and he said he was. I fired my first shot and my brother said I was right above him. He ran up the hill 50 or 60 yards. I aimed at him with my 600 yd mark and let it fly. My brother said good shot I can see the whole right behind his shoulder. We watched him for a few seconds and he was down. We watch him for a few minutes just to make sure he wasn’t going to get up. These little deer are like the energizer bunny if you know what I mean. We hiked up to where he was and we were both all smiles. I came home Sunday and my brother killed a nice buck on Monday. I can’t wait until next year when we can do it all again!!

post-3261-1256775686_thumb.jpg