Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

.270 wsm or 7mm wsm???

Some good advise on rifles I heard was that a fancy caliber doesnt make you shoot any better. (i didnt listen at the time) Best thing i think to do with a gun is shoot it. Get used to it. Another thing people get all worked up about is people using big calibers on smaller game. While the "use a bigger caliber if you wanna shoot that big of a bullet" is true. I have never seen anything that was too dead. I have seen animals that were torn up by the choice of bullet. That being said there are some great performing calibers, and cartridges to do what ever you want (hot rod, obscure, slow, low recoil, popular, cool, fast). Im a fan of the 270 WSM, never had one but good #'s on paper. Ive seen it do good things in the woods too.

I shoot my 300RUM for just about everything. I shoot it enough to know it well. I saw it tip over a whitetail @ 722 yards 2 weeks ago. Minimal shocked meat, and it was dead. Perfect shot through the boiler room. If I shot the rifle alot more I prolly woulda went with less of a barrel burner. But ive always kinda liked hot rods. I got one of those 223WSSMs Lark was hatin on (rightfully so they really dont feed worth a dang). But i shot it enough and played around on the press and got a load that shoots fast (4100) and feeds good enough for me.

I bet the gun mfg's love the guys who want the biggest, baddest, fastest, lighest, killingest cartridges (im one of em). Im sure when they sell all the RUMs the can the will come out with a REM (rem enormous mag) and alot of ppl will have to get that. Or they might tell us bigger is bad and we will have to but the newest quarter bore out there. When i started puttin together my gun, i was hopin to keep it how i put it together and not have to change much on it. That all costs extra money. I wanted something that would do its job well for more than a few years. I love buyin new gun stuff but cant afford to do it.

Man i must be bored, Ive never written that much

Some good advise on rifles I heard was that a fancy caliber doesnt make you shoot any better. (i didnt listen at the time) Best thing i think to do with a gun is shoot it. Get used to it. Another thing people get all worked up about is people using big calibers on smaller game. While the "use a bigger caliber if you wanna shoot that big of a bullet" is true. I have never seen anything that was too dead. I have seen animals that were torn up by the choice of bullet. That being said there are some great performing calibers, and cartridges to do what ever you want (hot rod, obscure, slow, low recoil, popular, cool, fast). Im a fan of the 270 WSM, never had one but good #'s on paper. Ive seen it do good things in the woods too.

I shoot my 300RUM for just about everything. I shoot it enough to know it well. I saw it tip over a whitetail @ 722 yards 2 weeks ago. Minimal shocked meat, and it was dead. Perfect shot through the boiler room. If I shot the rifle alot more I prolly woulda went with less of a barrel burner. But ive always kinda liked hot rods. I got one of those 223WSSMs Lark was hatin on (rightfully so they really dont feed worth a dang). But i shot it enough and played around on the press and got a load that shoots fast (4100) and feeds good enough for me.

I bet the gun mfg's love the guys who want the biggest, baddest, fastest, lighest, killingest cartridges (im one of em). Im sure when they sell all the RUMs the can the will come out with a REM (rem enormous mag) and alot of ppl will have to get that. Or they might tell us bigger is bad and we will have to but the newest quarter bore out there. When i started puttin together my gun, i was hopin to keep it how i put it together and not have to change much on it. That all costs extra money. I wanted something that would do its job well for more than a few years. I love buyin new gun stuff but cant afford to do it.

Man i must be bored, Ive never written that much

+1

4100 fps? :o . Now thats a burner. I to like anything new, gun related. We all know you dont have to have the latest and greatest caliber or gun to kill animals, just look how long the 30-30 and 30-06 have been going and keep going. But its fun to try the new things out and we all try and justify why we need to buy it but in reality we dont need to justify it or have a reason at all, other than its fun and because we can. The short and super short mags were a cool idea when they came out and still are i think, to bad they didnt go alittle farther popularity wise.

I'm putting together a Howa .270 WSM for my boys. It was a partial trade to Gino for my .300 Wby mag because I was looking for a good youth gun. Cool thing is, I found a wood stock for the howa on ebay for $12, which I intend to cut down and put a nice recoil pad on. If it still has too much kick, for $200 I can have it ported. I have high hopes for this gun, and Casey, I'll be pinging you for some handload info.

Great thing about the .270 WSM is you can buy plenty of ammo off the shelf. Or, if you are particular like I am, you can load just about anything from screaming fast coyote loads to middle weight deer loads to some pretty impressive elk loads.

Don't know much about the 7MM WSM, but the next gun I buy will be one of the 7mms - prolly 7mm STW in something simple like a Ruger Model 1. At this point, my .300 WSM will do anything I can think of, and if I want to carry a hair splitter, I can go to my Savage 25-06 heavy barrell, that will easily outshoot me any day, but we always need an excuse to get a new toy!

If it's down to .270 WSM and 7MM WSM, I'd pick the. .270. If you're still open and want to tinker a bit, look at the 7MM STW - the ballistics are phenomenal.

Get a 7mm WSM!!! WHEN IT COMES TO BULLET SELECTION WITH HIGHER BALLISTIC COEFFICIENTS the 7mm will smoke the .270

:P OUCH Lark ;)

If you want a short mag thats fine.

A quick look in my loading manuals did not list the short mags

but if I recall right the 7MM-08 is about 300 FPS faster than

the 7MM WSM.

Better check them again, 7WSM is faster than the 7-08 with any weight bullet. Both are great cartridges. The 270 WSM is a good cartridge but the 7WSM is much more versatile with a better selection of bullets and better B.C.'s