Sign in to follow this  
Couesdeer

ugh!

I have hunted in some of the world's remotest areas and hunted hard for some extremely elusive and desirable animals, but I also must admit that I have shot on game ranches in Michigan and Africa.

It is my belief that the animals (in the places I visited, at least) were absolutely unaware that they were captives. The size of their enclosures ranged from 640 densely wooded acres in Michigan for northern whitetails to more than 400,000 acres for antelopes in South Africa.

I pondered long and hard before accepting an invitation to fly to Michigan to shoot a whitetail at The Sanctuary on an expenses-paid junket with a group of other outdoor writers, worrying that it would be like shooting a Hereford in a squeeze chute. It was not. In fact, the experience differed little from hunting the free-ranging whitetails I'd hunted in Texas, Wyoming, Illinois and Minnesota.

I do make it a point to tell everyone who sees the mount of my Michigan deer exactly where it came from. It's a beautiful buck with wonderfully heavy, wide and tall antlers, but I have no illusions about it being a "trophy."

A game ranch specializing in Coues white-tailed deer was inevitable in light of the emphasis on hunting for trophies that has grown way out of control over the past thirty years. To me, judging your trophies with a measuring tape is a much greater sin than game ranching. Good men have been known to do some awful things, just to get their names in record books.

I long ago outgrew judging the success of my hunting based on the size of the antlers or horns I've taken. If you hunt long enough, so will you.

Bill Quimby

I have hunted in some of the world's remotest areas and hunted hard for some extremely elusive and desirable animals, but I also must admit that I have shot on game ranches in Michigan and Africa.

It is my belief that the animals (in the places I visited, at least) were absolutely unaware that they were captives. The size of their enclosures ranged from 640 densely wooded acres in Michigan for northern whitetails to more than 400,000 acres for antelopes in South Africa.

I pondered long and hard before accepting an invitation to fly to Michigan to shoot a whitetail at The Sanctuary, worrying that it would be like shooting a Hereford in a squeeze chute. It was not. In fact, the experience differed little from hunting the free-ranging whitetails I'd hunted in Texas, Wyoming, Illinois and Minnesota.

I do make it a point to tell everyone who sees the mount of my Michigan deer exactly where it came from. It's a beautiful buck with huge antlers, but I have no illusions about it being a "trophy."

A game ranch specializing in Coues whitetails was inevitable, I guess. It's a byproduct of the emphasis on hunting for trophies that has grown out of control over the past thirty years.

To me, judging your trophies with a measuring tape is a greater sin than game ranching. I've seen good men do some awful things, just to get their names in record books. I've outgrown worrying about the size of the animals I shoot.

If you hunt long enough, so will you.

Bill Quimby

clap.gif

Man is and always has been looking for shortcuts. It's human nature. Putting up cameras eliminates the need to spend many hours in the field learning how to use it and what animals are there. Shooting deer so far away that they don't even know anyone is around eliminates the need to get closer and match wits with an animal that knows his home better than we ever will (I did it once). Sitting in a box overlooking a planted field or by a waterhole is just using the anilmals basic needs against him (never done that). Shooting a deer in an enclosed area is the shortest cut of all except for shooting a deer tied to a pole. Shortcuts! Not good and not bad - they just are. I learned a different way from dad that just stuck to me - still hunting. Not good and not bad. Just how I do it. Suerte.

Sorry to hijack the thread here.... but this and a comment or two or three on the other "going topics of the day" just kind a irk me.

why is it that the people who like to criticize how other people hunt typically have never tried it? To say that putting up cameras is somehow cheating, or taking shortcuts is absurd. Or that shooting long distances somehow makes you less of a hunter than a still hunter? Please, man. Then try to say the shortcuts are not good or bad, they just are. Your entire post criticized how every one else hunts except for still hunters who somehow are not taking shortcuts. still hunt with a a knife and spear and then start talking about not taking shortcuts.

The truth of it is, you probably don't spend nearly as much time in the woods as the guys that hang cameras and check a circuit of them every week. or nearly as much time behind your rifle, money on equipment and ammo, nor do you know your weapon as well as the guys who routinely shoot over 800 yards, and can tell you the exact velocity, trajectory, and energy at that same range. And you probably don't have the self discipline of an archer sitting in a tree stand over water in august, and that somehow that is using an animals basic needs against him??? This is freaking the life and death of an animal, and predator prey situation... should we tell the crocs in africa they have to chase the wildebeest on the ground after they had their fill of water?

If you don't want to develop the skills to shoot 800 yards, then don't. If you don't want to spend the time setting up and checking game cameras ("techno crap") don't. If you don't want to hunt over water... don't. But let others have the same liberty to do as they please without your snark. I can't tell you how many deer I've glassed from 1000 yards away were just out of view of still hunters pushing them along. You do your thing. Let others do theirs.

Jay

I really liked your post JMP, well said.

I also agree with Bill on the high fences, as long as you don't pawn your "trophy" off as DIY then there is little shame. Some people have more money than time or patience. Wish I had the more money part of that last statement.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!