Sign in to follow this  

Looking for advice on breed of dog to use on quail. I hunt mostly gambels and have heard some breeds are better than others for gambels. I have never trained a bird dog myself but look forward to the challenge. Like the GSP's for their endurance and low grooming maintenance, but hear they can be difficult to train. Everyone seems to swear by different breeds. Any advice would be appreciated from those with experience. Thx.

I don't believe that one breed is easier to train then the next. It is mostly based on the individual dog. I have a male GSP that is extremly hard headed but with a bit of training he has come a long way. My other dog (english pointer, brittney mix), my first pointer, was extremly easy to train but she can outhunt most pure breads. My advice would be either GSP or english pointer. Make sure they come from good blood lines, get a shock collar (easier on you and the dog) and read "Gun Dog" sorry don't know the author right now. But most of all, get them in the field as much as posible, they will make mistakes but the dog will learn. Good luck.

This is going to sound odd but I use my English lab retriever

He was trained at first for duck hunting. After a couple of years I trained him for land birds was easy and natural for him.

Good luck.

You cannot go wrong with just about any upland dog. It all depends on you and what you like. I would highly recommend you get a dog that you like not what others tell you to get. In the long run you are the one that has to grow old with the dog. All have their pros and cons. However, what you heard about GSP is not true. I have 6 GSP's and none of them have been hard to train. I will say I personally feel it is easier to train a female then a male. That is just my opinion. I recently bought an English Pointer and I am very excited to have her. However, she is going to be strictly a field trial dog and not a hunting dog. As a matter of fact she will never have a bird in her mount as long as I can help it. I have friends with Britts that are good hunting dogs as well. I also agree with the e-collar but only after you learn how to use it and what it is designed to do for you. Too many handlers get the e-collar and then shock the u know want out of the dog and wonder why it is afraid of its own shadow. Start with a check cord and a pinch collar first. Once you have this down the transition to the e-collar. If you ever need any help let me know and I would be happy to get you on the right track. Also, I would highly recommend you join the Arizona Pointing Dog Club. Great resource for you and your dog. Last but not least also look at www.dobbsdogs.com. Great info here as well. Good luck whichever way you go.