Sign in to follow this  
azhunter85

a little late but here is the end of 09 for me

i know its late just have not had time to ppost. but i had a late bull tag along with my two uncles and cousin. i started scouting three weeks prior and had some bulls found that i would like to take. i only had three days to hunt so i was going to try my best for a bull i really wanted but, i knew it would be hard to turn anything down. the very first bull we found to start the scouting trips we called the caribou bull just from the unique top it had on the one side. i really wanted him. but as time went on there were bigger bulls i would try for as well.

day before the hunt we went out to scout before opening day and saw seven bulls, three of them would be shooters in any of our eyes for sure, so opening day was looking good. but as we all know elk do read the regs and opening morning we found our selves striking out and not seeing one elk for the whole morning. so we took off for another spot were we had found some bulls prior. as we all walked out to the canyon and the fingers running off the main canyon i jumped my bull out from under me, i made the first shot at 110 yards which i thought was farther and missed. with one quick adjustment i shoot again knocking him down for good. he is pretty heavy but all around he is all i wanted with limited time and this kind of late hunt i am happy with him. plus he is my biggest bull so far.

next day after we finished packing my bull out we found ourselves looking at a small bull laying in some brush across the canyon. my uncle was preparing to shoot him when i looked up and saw something else. i told him not to shoot that there was a bigger bull that just stood up in an opening down hill. as soon as we glassed him we realized it was the caribou bull. he quickly got a bullet in him and the rest of it was history. my cousin and other uncle ended up killing a spike and a five point. it was a great late hunt for us. enjoy

looking down to where my bull was

09elkhunt5a011.jpg

where i shot from

09elkhunt5a012.jpg

my pops

09elkhunt5a024.jpg

me

09elkhunt5a044.jpg

09elkhunt5a048.jpg

09elkhunt5a052.jpg

the caribou bull

09elkhunt5a097.jpg

this is the caribou bull three weeks before the hunt

elkscout09021.jpg

Very nice bulls! Congrats. That is one unique top end on that bull for sure.