Sign in to follow this  
5yearcoueshunter

Waterfowl Fun

Had the chance to do a little waterfowl hunting in the Rio Grande Valley with my Dad and uncle. Nothing fancy, no dogs or decoys, just some pass shooting.

A couple of honkers for my Dad and Uncle.

P1010019.jpg

My Dad also had a Crane tag. He doubled on these.

P1080027.jpg

Got my first Blue Goose! Dad got a snow and I got a mallard drake.

P1170031.jpg

P1170036.jpg

P1170032.jpg

Thanks,

Travis

Those are some beautiful birds. I shot my first blue goose in Mississppi and got it mounted. They sure make pretty mounts. Especially next to my 2 woodies I got down there. Gotta love those late season AZ waterfowlhunts. Congrats on the gorgeous birds.

Looks like alot of fun...are those birds good eating? I've heard horror stories about how bad they taste. I'm going to have to break down and shoot some of these years and try it out.

Looks like alot of fun...are those birds good eating? I've heard horror stories about how bad they taste. I'm going to have to break down and shoot some of these years and try it out.

Tommy,

They have their own kind of taste. They don't taste bad in my opinion, they just taste like waterfowl. Nothing like quail or anthing. Dark meat. There not my favorite, but I usually enjoy a goose, crane or duck dinner once and a while. They all taste similiar. Crane being the lightest meat of the three and goose the darkest. We pluck our birds and roost or smoke them. In my opinion it's important to keep the skin on when cooking. Plucking is a pain in the rear, but worth it I think. That's why I don't shoot too much waterfowl in a year. lol

Travis

Tommy,

I would definately give it a try. It's a lot of fun. Pass shooting waterfowl is probably the hardest wing shooting around because the distances involved, but it's sure a good feeling when you connect.

We had a chance to go out one more time this past Friday. With the weather being so cloudy and rainy, we couldn't resist as usually those are the best waterfowl days. I was hoping to get a Canada goose, but didn't see any this time. The duck action was really good and light goose wasn't bad either. We got a few birds and then decided to stop because we didn't want to clean anymore. ha ha

2 mallards, 1 pintail and 2 Ross geese

P1210040.jpg

P1210048.jpg

My Dad got a Pintail drake. We hadn't shot one of those for quite a few years. He also was wearing some jewelry. This was the first banded bird we've ever bagged. Pretty cool.

P1210047.jpg

P1210042.jpg

Thanks,

Travis

Nothing like goose stew. Cooked right it is great. My wife is from Louisiana and she makes a duck gumbo that is out of this world. Man I need to go kill some now it is sounding pretty good.

Travis,

Great pictures. A Pintail drake, that is awesome... and a band with it. That is awesome. I used to hunt all over NM for a Pintail like that and never had the chance.

Awesome,

--Bill