Sign in to follow this  
huntwithme2

elk load

does any body have a good load for elk. i have a tc omega with a 3x-9x scope on it. i can't seem to do any better than 2 1\2 inches with 250 grn shock wave backed up with two triple 7 magnum pellets

Well, what works for one gun may not work that great for another when it comes to the world of muzzleloaders. Try getting a container of Buckhorn 209 powder and try various powders loads from 100 grns on up. Try increments of 10 grns to see what works for you. Also, give other bullets a try as well if your bullets are not grouping to your satisfaction. I am a big fan of Precision Rifle Dead Center Bullets. I used to go the pelletized powder route for many years until this last ML elk hunt of mine. I thought I would switch things up a little and try loose powder. Best decision I made as my groups shrunk significantly.

As mentioned above each rifle like center fired have there own perfered loads. Muzzle loaders in my exprience are much more finicky. I too went with loose and the rifle finally found what it liked after 12-14 different bullet/bullet weight/sabot types/powder charges.

I went with 120grs of 777, Barnes 300grn expander-mz. That combo is good for 2inch groups at 200yrds, again in my rifle. 3inch high at 100yrds and 3inch low at 200yrds.

:ph34r:

My first Elk I used a heavy bullet (over 400 grains) Since then I use the same bullet for Elk,Deer, and Antelope (approx. 300 or less). I would say find a load that is real accurate and consistant and stick with it. This will also allow you to have a bullet drop chart (even if it is only mental) and save a ton resighting in - etc.