Sign in to follow this  
m1280

deercaine or blackmagic

any body used these products? my salt lick is a 14 months along and gettin' pounded (good ole water softner salt) every 3 months. just dumped a bag of the black magic to 'ice' the critters for the upcoming archery and was wondering what I can expect. when I opened the 'magic' the aroma was, well, it made me think I could mix w/ some h2o and drink it my self!! awful sweet aroma, but the ingrediants are all trace minerals and the 'secret attractant'. any info would be appreciated thanx and good luck all!! -mike-

I just picked up some of the black magic and one of the deercaine blocks that I am going to put out this weekend and am curious as well as what and how many will use it. I would be interested in any info you guys could provide as well.

I have heard mixed reviews on the stuff. I've heard guys say that the deer could careless and just prefer the water softener salt and others say "oh yeah it works great". Sorry I don't have any experience to share.

Hopefully you'll get treestandman or TAM to chime in. Those guys will have personal experience. When I was up in Flagstaff I just hay or just put the cams on the trails leading to water and had lots of luck.

I am currently using water softner salt only.

TAM and I have done some experiments w/ different products. For example, placing a deer cocaine block 15 feet from some water softener salt and seeing which product gets more action based on our trail camera pictures. I've tried black magic,deer cocaine in all its forms, salt blocks, bashas salt,stump liker,rasperry blocks,apple blocks, and more. We know which ones deer prefer and which ONE drives deer absolutely crazy!!! I would tell you which one works the best BUT that would be too easy and you'll have so much more fun experimenting yourselves.

TAM and I have learned however that deer prefer salt pellets less concentrated as opposed to straight out of the bag. This is in my mind a fact based on our evidence.

well guys, thanx for the input! guess i'll just have to go out there SOMEMORE!!, darn the bad luck. now my only problem is with the storm activity the tree for my camera has been uprooted

that grumpy frown was supposed to be after the uprooted remark -mike-

Yeah right, we know you are mad at us. :P

That's too bad about your camera. :ph34r:

thought i would try somthin different and i figured out that i am still a simpleton w/ computers :P

A HAAA! i figured it out!! (yes i know i'm easily entertained)

Well I checked the areas that I had put out the black magic and the block with some interesting results. The black magic area hadn't been touched except by a bear that appears to just be curious but the deer co block had been hammered. I spotted a group of seven bucks leaving the block when I was walking in...can't wait until I can get to sit that stand, to bad I have to wait for the Labor Day weekend to get out there.

I am wondering if I should put out some of the water softener pellets where I had put the black magic or would that be too much minerals in the same area?

Black magic does work, but if they have their choice it seems like they will eat the ground to get the Deer Co.

well, stayed up a little later than I should have on sat. night and got to the spot about 45 minutes late on sun. As fate would have it there were deer waiten' for me, so for about 10 minutes with some mesquite and 30 yards between us, my stalk had come to and end and it was left to luck and weather or not one would turn into a clear shot! Never got to let one go. Wind shifted and the snortin and weezin started and away they went (2 forks and 3 does) on the black magic away from the salt and away from the mineral lick!! stayed out until 10:30 or so and then the heat sent me packin. i was pretty tickled to see that scene and that my efforts are/will be payin off, even if i dont harvest its so cool to see a plan come together!! I will keep ya'll posted!! good luck. -mike-

That will teach you to sleep in!! I bet your adrenaline was pumping pretty good. Cool experience. Maybe next time you will have a chance at a bigger buck.

yeserree, the next expedition will include the tent. only had time for the short gettaway. had to square some honeydoos away before myarchery bull hunt! and yes! my heart was poundin!! hope ya'll have a successful season! -mike-