Sign in to follow this  
kennyazman

tripod for my binos

I have leupold binos and I'm looking for a tripod for them. any body have any suggestions on what to get and where to find the best price? Thanks guys.

I try to follow the "buy nice or buy twice" rule. I know "nice" means more $ upfront. I've spent more on all the cheap gear in the long run and had it fail at bad times. Just sayin.

What type of glassing are you gonna be doing. Standing or sitting? I only sit and glass so I use a shorter tripod. The Slik mini pro combo isnt a bad choice for an entry level tripod if you dont want to stand.

For small and light, there is the Slik Sprint Pro and the Velbon LUXi-L. They both have adjustable leg angles (do not get a cheap plastic tripod with the braces to the center column). The Slik has flip lock leg adjusters, while the LUXi has twist lock legs and stiffer legs. For a light head I like the Manfrotto 700 RC2.

For a mid-duty mid-cost tripod, there is the likes of the Velbon Sherpa, Manfrotto 190XB, Slik DX700 AMT, Velbon ElCarmagne, Adorama Flashpoint CF

For many more bucks, there is the Outdoorsmans tripod, Gitzo, and other carbon fiber tripods. Higher quality heads include the Jim White and the Outdoorsmans.

If you go to a camera store website like Adorama or BHPhoto, you can get the specs for various models. Buy through and support CWT sponsors like Amanda's store, Jim White, CameraLand NY, Outdoorsmans, etc. seen on the home page http://www.coueswhitetail.com/

Awesome! Thanks guys. I now have a much better idea of what I need. Finally drew a bull tag and I want to do it right. You guys were a great help.