Sign in to follow this  
Broken Wheels

Antelope

Has anybody had any experience hunting in unit (Antelope Unit) 45 the past couple years and if so, what were the pros and cons to this unit? This will be my first time hunting there and also my first antelope hunt period, so I am greener then green and looking forward to learning such things as how to judge a goat in the field, judging distances which I am told are far different then mountain terrain, and anything else I can learn over the next few months. Thank you folks for anything you can offer up, regards Broken Wheels!

I have hunted unit 56 which is directly north of where you will be at.

The 2 hardest things will be:

Deciding what buck you want!

Killing the buck you want!

In NM they assign you a ranch, It is tough to look at a nice antelope on the other side of the fence knowing he was legal when you spotted him then he jumped or crawled through. You will have to wait for him to come back or go find another.

You will see lots of BUCKS

Here is propably the best viedo to get you started on how to judge Antelope horns.

http://www.pronghornguideservice.com/

Go to Products > DVD's

"Size is Everything"

Good luck

BROKEN BRAIN? I beleive the nickname is Broken Wheels but you can call me what you will as long as I am hunting antelope somewhere! Especially since we are NOT having much luck in 18 years trying to get a tag in this "holier then though" state! Thank you my fellow CWT hunter for the link as well as your suggestion and I am finally excited about something since finding out I wasn't drawn for anything in the Republic of Arizona. <_<

Here is a few photos of some NM bucks

quality is not great but it helps to get a person excited.

My tag was a landowner tag also.

lowprongfront.jpg

lowprongside.jpg

tallest.jpg

prong.jpg

Here is the buck I ended up taking.

08antskinny1.jpg

OMG! That really sends me over the top as far as excited goes! Thank you very much for making my summer as all I will be thinking about is this hunt! Have a great day!

Broken Wheels :rolleyes: