Does anyone have or know where I can get a windage chart? I have a group of 4H kids going to the 4H national shoot in Kerrville Texas this summer and need some help with their shoting. With the Spring winds we are having a hard time shoting out to 100meters. They are shoting 40gr of FFF at 25 and 50 yards and then bumping up to 60gr of FFF for shooting at 77 and 100 meters. with this they are still getting about 20 inches of drop between the 25 yards and the 100 meters. We can shot this consistantly and adjust the sights for the differance. But the wind has been causing our round balls to drift as much as 25 inches or more. I am needing a chart or a calculating formula to use for differant wind speeds and powder loads. Any help would be appreciated. 60gr of powder is the maximum load they are allowed to use.

Thanks DCM

Seems to me that any one of the ballistics programs that you can purchase or download for the computer have the ability to calculate wind-drift for you. You have to enter ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, etc. then the program does the calcs for you as I recall. I'm sure some of the shooters here on the site can direct to a good one. I have only used the Barnes program which I purchased some years ago.

I have a friend that has some very extensive charts on windage for round balls. I will see if I can get that for you. As for the drop it sounds a little high but I shoot the old originals and high-end customs they seem to carry WAY better do to the riffling. You might try to play with ball size and patch size to build a little better pressure. When I started out I had a real cheap Charles Daily and it was worst that any of my smooth bores.

Two great books are Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Loading manual and DIXIE Gun Works Everything Black powder. I have an extra Lyman if you want it. Send me a PM with your address and I will send it to you.