ultramag

whats the funniest thing thats happened

My brother brought both his young sons for the last day of a rifle deer hunt some years ago, they were like 7 and 5, I took them with me to glass, later on the way back to the truck I ask them if they know what that is (it was a pile of deer scat), they both pick up a few and look at it for a while, then the youngest one asks me if I know what it is, I say nope, he says well let me tell you because I know what this is, now me and the seven year old are listening intently, these are squirtle nuts, I say what are squirtle nuts, he says these are squirtle nuts, now the seven year old jumps in and agrees with him, the look on these kids faces had me laughing so hard I couldn't hardly stand up, they took them back with us to show their dad, and started to notice every pile of deer poop all the way back to the truck, they decided that this had to be one of the best areas for squirrels around, their dad told them the truth and ended my fun.

Just remembered another incident:

It was about 1970, and I still had my mule when I was hunting whitetails near Stockton Pass north of Willcox. About 8 a.m. I heard someone shooting in the next canyon and an hour later while I was glassing I spotted a guy waving at me. When I rode over to him I learned he and his buddy had shot a bear and wanted me to help pack it out.

I?m not a cowboy and although I?d packed deer and javelina on that mule I didn?t know how it would act with a bear. I was younger and dumber, so I said I?d try to help them.

My mule was skittery when I rode up to the bear, but I got off and led it around the carcass and allowed it to smell and step over the animal. After it seemed to calm down somewhat I held the mule?s bit and told the guys to put their bear over the saddle and tie the rear legs to the left cinch ring and the front legs to the right cinch ring.

The mule didn?t like this at all and starting moving in circles every time they tried to get the bear into the saddle. They finally got it up after I took off my jacket and used it to blindfold the mule. They?d got the front legs tied off and were starting to work on the rear legs when the mule shook its head, knocked me down, looked around and saw the bear on its back, and spun around, knocking down the two hunters, too.

There was nothing we could do but watch the mule run off kicking while the bear flopped from the saddle (it broke off a couple hundred yards later). I told the guys they?d have to get their own bear out, and went looking for my mule. I found it a half mile later. One rein was missing and a stirrup was snagged on a stump. I had a devil of a time getting things straightened away and the mule took off at a run when I finally climbed aboard. It ran straight back to camp -- under trees and through brush! There was no way it would allow me to control it. Its eyes were as big as saucers, its teeth were bared, and its ears were laid back. It didn?t stop until it reached its trailer.

It had calmed down the next day but absolutely refused to carry me toward that canyon. Every time I?d point it in that direction -- even from a mile away -- it would start stepping sideways.

It took a few years to see the humor in a mule running off with a bear flopping from the saddle. It certainly wasn't funny at the time.

Two that just happened saturday, me and my brother are driving to back to set up our camp at about noon, I look out the drivers side and see a buck, our bows are packed into the back of the jeep, so we just kind of look at it, my brother says that is the robo deer, the tail flickers and it is looking right at me, I say no, then it hits me I am looking at a whitetail, with no velvet on his horns, yep its the robo deer, my brother gets out and snaps a picture or two and we leave, about a hundred yards down the road and hidden is the wardens truck, we are laughing about the whitetail in this unit which don't have any and it was huge even though it was a spike.

Our trip was kind of spur of the moment and we forgot a couple of things so we had to run into town.

Just before dark, we were headed back to town and there is a truck stopped ahead of us, but coming toward us, a guy is out the passenger side and trying to nock an arrow, arrows are falling on the ground and he is trying to pick them up, he shoves one in his pocket broadhead first, we are sitting there watching this whole thing, the truck starts coming toward us while he starts off the road, the truck goes by, a girl driving and beer on the dash, keystone to be exact, we wait as the guy is slowly STALKING off the side of the road, we wait, we wait some more the truck had parked behind us and was waiting also, now we see him headed our way so we drive on, as we pass him there is a camp a big camp, and just outside that camp is a full size whitetail target, we laughed all the way into town, the game warden must have missed out this time.