Sign in to follow this  
Prohunt

Dogs hunting for sheds????

Ya, you'll probably beat me there Travis. He's starting to fetch the antler already but gets bored with it real quick. I'll just keep being patient I guess. Thanks for all the good suggestions Bruce.

Josh

I have been training my dog this past week and she is doing great. I have been hiding sheds and saying "find the bone" and she is sniffing them out! Thanks for the advice. Good luck with your Lab Josh.

Travis

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK . SHE`LL BE FINDING ANTHERS IN NO TIME . WORK WITH HER A LITTLE EVERY NIGHT AND SHE `LL GET THE IDEA . GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU !!

BRUCE

Hey Travis,

Someone once told me that you have to be careful with having your scent on the antlers you are training with. Because maybe the dog is just sniffing out the thing with your scent. Maybe try wearing some rubber gloves or something like that so that the dog finds antlers that smell like antlers instead of you. Just a suggestion. I don't know how important it is or not.

I tried training my dog for a while, but like Josh's dog, mine got really bored since the antlers weren't alive!

I found a couple nice sheds during my hunt this year, and my dog loves to carry them around, but I don't think she gets the idea of hunting for dead things.

I really hope your dog gets it. What a blast that will be to shed hunt with a good dog!

Amanda

Finally got to go out back with the dog last night. I haven't been trying anything with him for at least a week now since I've been hunting deer lately. Took him in the back yard and make him sit and stay. I'd walk out in the grass and drop it randomly in the grass and keep walking around. I'd then walk over to him and say findabone and he'd tear out into the grass. The yard was only lit with a weak light so it made it a little tough on him. He not only found the antler everytime (by sight) but he'd bring it back to me. I nearly had a coronary each time I was so excited. Thinking of visions of the multiple Coues sheds he'd one day bring out of the woods for me. I tried again when I got him this afternoon and he could've cared less about the antler in the grass. I think the daylight lets him get distracted easy, he's always wanting to go sniff some bush for someplace to do his business. Oh well. I gave up the dog treats cause I was suffering from a severe case of the dogfarts and I couldn't handle it anymore. One of these days.........

Josh