Sign in to follow this  
Prohunt

Dogs hunting for sheds????

Hey everyone!

I think Amanda posted this topic some time back. I have taken my lab and tried to have her hunt for sheds with no luck. The only "shed hunting" training I have given her is playing fetch with sheds. I was surfing the web and found a great article on shed hunting dogs at: www.northamericanwhitetail.com The article is called "A Nose For Shed Antlers." Has anyone had any experience with this? I think it is a great idea since dogs have such great noses and can cover much more country than thier masters.

Travis

my dogs never did any shed hunting, but one dog did a lot of shed chewing. She chewed up a realy cool palmated coues shed that I had found. Out of about 10 sheds she had to chew up that one, oh well.

Guest Guest_Josh Epperson

Not sure why the forum doesn't recognize me but oh well.

Travis, I just reread that same article in the N. Am. Whitetail magazine(Sept. 2003 issue) and I got all jazzed up about training my chocolate lab to find sheds. He's 3 now and may be well past the point of training him to shed hunt but he's way smart. We'll see. If he won't do it I may be in the market of getting another lab. That article freaks me out! I'd love to see my dog come out of the manzanita or scrub oak with a good ol biggin in his mouth.

Josh Epperson

Guest rimhunter

Hi I am working on my second dog to find sheds . The first one was doing very good and loved to find hornes . The dog Im working on know is doing good but not as good as the first one . with a little time you can get a dog to find sheds . My first dog Roxie became Ill with cancer and had to be put down. Otis the dog Im working on is a great dog and loves the outdoors .

Happy Hunting

Bruce

galiuro mtn man,

I know what you mean, a couple of years ago my neighbors dog packed off and chewed a 100" class Coues shed, a non-typical carp shed and a couple of cow skulls from my yard. Now I only leave out the ones that are already chewed on.

Josh,

My yellow lab (actually blonde) is about 3 years old also, so I am not too sure about training her too much more but she loves to fetch sheds and ducks! I agree it would be awesome to see her bring in some big old sheds.

rimhunter,

Do you have any tips for training our dogs to find sheds? It is cool to actually hear from someone that has a dog that has found sheds!

Thanks,

Travis

Edited by Prohunt

Prohunt

you will need to get your dog to play fetch with a antler if your dog will do this he can be trained . after this you need to have your dog sit and stay if your dog wont do this have someone hold him and then put the antler out a few feet in front of him and tell hin to find after he picks up the antler peaise him . Keep putting the antler out a couple of feet more every time do this for a couple of weeks at diferent distances . the next step is to hid the antler at first let him see were you hide it tell him find you may need to help by walking him by the antler when he finds and picks up the antler praise him . the next step is to hide the antler . Dont let him see where you hide it and tell him to find take him around the yard untell he findes the antler praise him let him know hes doing good .do all your training on a leash it will make it easer to hold your dogs attention .

Good luck

Bruce

Rimhunter, you are exactly right. My Dad and I have been quail hunting with dogs since I can remember. You described exactly the way we trained our brittanys to retrieve quail. It didnt matter how old they were, you could train them easily by keeping their interest in it. The only thing that was different was that when they started doing good with pointing and holding on our quail sock, we started throwing a frozen quail around the yard and let them bring it to us. This method will work very well, but just remember, dont give up because they dont get it right away, be patient with them. Eventually they will pick it up. The hardest part is keeping them interested, if you turn it into a game they will get it. Also like Rimhunter said, used a word or phrase that lets them know that they are looking for something. Example: for birds we used find dead, then the dogs would look for the quail.

Good luck

rimhunter & galiuro mountain man,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to train my 3 year old lab, hopefully she is not too old. It may work because she is really smart and acts like she listens to my commands.

Thanks again,

Travis

Prohunt

Remember this will not happen overnight it could take a year depending on your dog . dont get into a hurry and make it fun for the dog .

Bruce

All this dog shed hunting talk is really getting me going. I went out today and bought some dog treats to try and do a little training. My lab did OK but I've never tought him to fetch cause I just can't stand soggy tennis balls and dogs that always have to have you throw something for them. He'll sit and stay real good but getting him to fetch the antler is gonna take a while I think. I sacrificed half of a small set of fresh Coues antlers so maybe he'll pick up the scent in the process. I'm gonna try and play/teach him as much as I can in the next several weeks. I almost teared up seeing him bringing that shed to me this eve. He just wouldn't do it everytime I'll keep you posted on his progress and hopefully my dog will pick it up faster than Travis' will.

Josh

Josh

You first need to teash him to fetch and a ball will be your best bet then go to the antlers . dont leave the antlers in the yard for him to play with this will make him think its no big deal .You have to make it something special or he will get board with it . The fetching is the most important if he wont fetch he wont find anything you wont him to so work on that it may take sometime to get him to fetch but it can be done . You have to make him wont to get the ball . tease him with it let him play with it a little them put it up . Do this every night and he will come around .

Good Luck

Keep Me Informed

Bruce

Josh & Prohunt

I do not use treats I make the reword the antlers or ball let them play with it a little .If you use treats when you are out with your dog somewhere and he does something good he will wont a treat all the time .he is only working for the treat . All he needs is praise let him know you love him and he will do all he can to please you.

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for all of the tips. I am willing to take time training my dog as long as she is learning even a little. I know what Josh means this is getting me fired up too.

Josh,

I am one step ahead of you in training. My dog will fetch sheds, bones, even rocks. The trick for me is going to be teaching her to sniff them out. Good luck!

Thanks again Bruce.

Travis

This spring maybe we can get together with the dogs and find some sheds . Its hard for me to get time off work but I will find the time . A dog can cover so much ground .

Talk to you later

Bruce

Bruce,

That sounds great. When I was teaching my dog to retrieve ducks it really helped her to go with a dog that already knew how. I will let you know how the training goes.

Travis