Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

7mm

i want to get a long range gun, but i dont know hardly anything about the loads for them, barrels, etc. so if any of you have some info for me that would be great, hopefully i can land a summer job and get started on this gun this summer. but i just want to get as much info as i can. hopefully when im done this gun will be capable of being accurate out to 1000 yards. thanks. my budget wont be as high as i would want it, but it will just be however much money i can make, and this will probably be quite a long project

IF I were you, I would start by jumpin on that 7mm rem 700 ADL in the classifieds. That is a awesome price, and the caliber is a dam good one.

Being accurate to 1000 is quite a feat. Thats a LONG ways and to be done correctly takes some high dollar, specialized gear. A regular old plane jane rifle cant do that.

I would go out and get a cheaper model Remington 700. Top it off with any scope that has target turrets and a good range of magnification like a 4.5X14X50 or 6.5X20X50 in leupold, nikon, Burris, etc. I would recomend any scope that Kenton Industires make custon turrets for. Here is there website http://www.kentonindustries.com/. Take the gun out and shoot it. If it will shoot real well out of the box just keep the stock barrel if not put a new Dougles or Shilen type barrel on it, although you may want to put the new stock on it and bed it to see if this makes your stock barrel shoot to your satisfaction. Do what I did and just have a good gunsmith work on the trigger and they can usually make the stock trigger into a crisp 2.5# trigger for a lot less than buying a new one. Lastly get a new Bell and Carlson medalist stock and have it put on and bedded. This will make your rifle an even better shooter. Work up the best load you can that is the most accurate and use the grain bullet that will perform well on all the game you want to shoot. Get all of the info that Kenton industires requires for thier custom turrets and send it in for a custom turret made for your gun to shoot out to a thousand yards and you will have a great long range shooter.

Rifle- $500

Stock and bedding - $350

Trigger work - $50

Scope - $400

Turret - $90

(Optional) Custom Barrel Installed - $400

So with a new barrel your looking at about $1,800 and with out your total setup would be $1,400. So you will spend $500 - $900 on customizing your rifle If you do it this way. This is how I have done both of my guns and they both are 1,000 yard tack drivers. This is just my opinion, I am no expert by any means but I wanted to do exactly what you are wanting to do and this is how I did it. Hope it helps.