Sign in to follow this  
gonhntn

NM Antelope draw transparency huh?

Here are some interesing facts reference antelope tags in N.M. We are banding together to protest this unfairness. This also keeps many non residents from drawing a permit in NM. Do your part and check out the NM Wildlife Federation. My father who is getting up in years and wants an antelope tag bad. and surely can afford a tag has never drawn a tag in his own state. He has been putting in for many years but, refuses to pay a land owner $2500.00 plus for a permit, especially when most of the transferable tags are ranch owned and most of that hunting is done on public land. I have not drawn an antelope bow tag for seven years. I am afraid to think where this could end up for our youth if the department is not made more transparent.

The following should be of intrest to all of us. Silver City will be have a Game and fish meeting soon. Hope to see many of you there.

Thanks, gonhntn

One problem is that the state Legislature in 1997 passed a law that guarantees 22 percent of most licenses in the Big Game Draw to nonresidents. In other western states, nonresidents licenses are typically capped at 10 percent.

An even bigger drain is the fact that over the years more and more antelope and elk tags have been shifted away from the big game draw to private individuals to re-sell. For decades the Department of Game and Fish has quietly funneled an increasing number of “transferable” tags to some landowners who bought or inherited ranches in elk and antelope country “in compensation” for having wildlife on their property. No state in the nation comes close to allowing so many private individuals to control access to so many big game hunting permits.

Consider the following:

More than 70 percent of all antelope licenses in New Mexico are handed out to certain landowners as transferable licenses to resell. That leaves less than 30 percent for the Big Game Draw, of which nonresident hunters are guaranteed almost a quarter.

More than 40 percent of all elk licenses are handed out to private individuals to sell as transferable tags

No other western state has such a generous program of giving away transferable licenses and allowing private individuals to control who gets a tag. In Arizona, Wyoming and Montana, all big game licenses are allocated through the public draw, and hunters who want to hunt on private land must negotiate for access – not for the tag itself. Landowners there control access to their own private land, but do not control access to tags. In Colorado and Utah, less than 10 percent of antelope tags are transferable, and the ranchers who receive them must open their land to at least some draw hunters.

The State Game Commission will vote in September on potential changes in how the state hands out transferable licenses for antelope. Sportsmen are asking the commission to substantially increase the percentage of tags allocated to the Big Game Draw, thus increasing your chances of getting a pronghorn license. Over the last few years our odds have been only about 5 percent, meaning you will likely draw one antelope tag every 20 years.

It’s time for a change.

It’s time for the State Game Commission to revamp the way it hands out transferable licenses and to start the process of bringing New Mexico more in line with other western states in the way we allocate hunting licenses to residents.

It’s time for the Legislature to boost the percentage of licenses allocated to residents in the Big Game Draw.

And it’s up to you to speak out. Until many more of us do, nothing will change. But if the newspapers and TV stations, the politicians and game managers start to hear us, we can make a difference. This is an issue of fairness, of open government and of transparency in how our publicly owned wildlife is managed on behalf of all citizens. Our hunting heritage is in danger, and it is time for us all to begin speaking out.

Hunters, write a quick e-mail to your local newspaper (all the addresses are below). Explain that you and your friends and family are tired of not drawing tags. Tell them how long it’s been, or why you hunt out of state, or that it’s getting harder to pass on the hunting tradition to your kids and grandkids when none of you can draw a tag.

And send a copy of your letter to your state senator or representative (contact information is below). Tell them you hunt, fish and vote, and that you want them to start paying more attention to the sportsmen of New Mexico.

It’s time for a change, but it has to start with sportsmen like you. If you don’t speak out now, who will?

Click on any of the following to send a letter to the editor:

Albuquerque Journal

Santa Fe New Mexican

Taos News

Rio Grande Sun

Farmington Daily Times

Las Vegas Optic

Las Cruces Sun-News

Silver City Sun-News

Alamogordo Daily News

Ruidoso News

Deming Headlight

Carlsbad Current-Argus

Roswell Daily Record

Hobbs News-Sun

Click here to get the address of your state representative or senator.

If you appreciate receiving these monthly news updates, please share them with a friend and ask them to get involved by joining our Sportsman's Alert network. New Mexico sportsmen need to stay involved to ensure our hunting and fishing traditions continue. And please make a donation to NMWF. With sportsmen like you, we can continue to make a difference. Click here to donate now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the New Mexico Wildlife Federation

Founded in 1914 by sportsman and conservation pioneer Aldo Leopold, the New Mexico Wildlife Federation is New Mexico's first and most effective conservation advocate. We are dedicated to protecting New Mexico's wildlife, habitat and outdoor way of life. We spearheaded permanent protection of our hunting and fishing rights in the Valle Vidal, and stopped cold the previous sell-off of your public lands. We believe that the best way to get things done is to build consensus with common goals.

Our key priorities are: Opportunity Habitat Youth

NMWF Website | Donate Now | Contact Us | About Us

New Mexico Wildlife Federation | 2610 San Mateo Blvd. NE | Suite A | Albuquerque | NM | 87110

Would you like to forward this email to a friend? Click here.

Your state game commission is directly controlled by the outfitters, and appointment of your commissioners requires their approval.

Until that changes, you're stuck... cause the commissioners have NO reason to give a flip what you think.

You also have a huge amount of supposedly public land in New Mexico that is inaccessible to hunt anyway, since property owners lock a gate where it crosses their corner, effectively locking up thousands of acres of "public" land.

As a non-resident who enjoys NM hunting I agree that NM residents are getting the short end when it comes to tag allocation.

My biggest gripe is the 12% allocation of non-resident tags to hunters utilizing a guide.

New Mexico does not owe guides/outfitters a livelihood.

Guides/outfitters are valuable members of the hunting community but, they're not more important than resident hunters. If you want a compromise then my humble suggestion is to require a percentage of landowner tag transfers go to outfitted hunts (resident or non-resident).

Don't get me wrong, I respect guides and outfitters (especially Tommy) and I would consider using one for a sheep or elk hunt.

The 12% should go away!

Landowners own the land that we want to hunt (much of it anyways).

We should never abuse the privelage of hunting on their property or passing through it.

Landowners should not be limiting access to public lands. Some landowners wouldn't have access to their own lands or through their own lands if not for the publicly maintained roads that you taxpayers provided them.

Without incentive why would anyone let someone else use their property. If you want to swim in my pool, show me you can swim, don't piss in the pool, and by all means show me some appreciation; otherwise, get your own pool or use the public pool.

I'm not sure I really understand why private landowner tags are transferable for hunting on public land but, it smells like skunk. Perhaps it's a compromise for allowing the use of other private lands.

The wildlife in NM belongs to all of its people not just some of the people.

I'm an outsider, I appreciate hunting in NM (please don't cut my tires again) and I hope NM residents find a solution for themselves.

NM hunters, I hope you feel welcome in AZ (our 10% cap isn't there to keep you out).

Stay safe, hunt responsibly and ethically!

Not to rub salt in the wound but I didn't know where else on the site to ask this question! I was drawn for rifle deer for November and realize I must buy the combo tag/license and applicable stamps, but I also purchased a landowner antelope tag for September too, so will I need to purchase my NM license in September and then what happens in November when I show up to buy my rifle deer tag? I sound retarded but I would rather know now then break a law later or not have the funds to pay for something unforseen once I get there. Thank you, Broken Wheels!

I was in your same predicament 2 years ago. Drew a Deer tag and had a landowner pronghorn permit.

You will need to buy a:

Antelope license (carcass tag included)$270

Habitat Management & Access Validation $4

BLM Habitat Stamp $5

You already purchased your deer tag $297

and your Deer license $270

Just make sure you keep your 2 stamps with you on your deer hunt so you do not have to repurchase them.