Sign in to follow this  
crazyaboutcoues

SWNM Coues pic

Wow, I wasn't aware the gray ranch even allowed hunting. I have passed through there many times and have seen quite a few mule deer, and I figured there was probably plenty of coues in the nearby Animas mountains. I sure wish I was a CEO of your co. :blink:

Guest Ernesto C

Hey crazyaboutcoues that's a SUPERB buck!!!and who said there is no big bucks in N.M? Congrats...

Ernesto C.

I've seen bucks of this caliber and bigger in public land, when out bow hunting during the rut. The problem is, sticking an arrow in one. :blink: But that's alright it's just a matter of time. Sooner or later one's going to make a mistake. ;)

Wow, great buck. I was under the impression it was next to impossible to get a permit to hunt on the Gray Ranch. It sure looks like some great Coues Country. Do you have to be a CEO to get a tag? How do they handle tags there?

Amanda

I'm not sure exactly how they distribute there hunting privaliges. But I do know that for the last six years or so the head hanchoes from Phelps dodge Mining Company have hunted it. They have taken some huge muledeer. I have a pic of a mule deer one of them took this year. It's not a huge buck but still a respectable representative of the species. Funny thig about it is most of these guys aren't into hunting they just tag along. And yes I am very jealous.

Hey crazyaboutcoues AWSOME BUCK!! I noticed you said you work for PD, which property do you work at? I worked at sieritta in green valley for 12 years two of which were under PD.GREAT website AMANDA !! THANX

Guest Guest

Yeah Couesstalker, I've been working with PD for almost 16 years. I work at the Tyrone mine in NM.

Just thought I check in one last time. I headed to Kansas on a whitetail hunt talk to you guys in a week.

Later

That is a very nice coues. This year in Aug I missed a buck with my bow a little bigger than that on private land. I estimated him at 110 to 115" after I subtracted 15" from my origional estimate (I was a little exited to see him at 40 yards, figure he grew a little in my mind.) But I hit a small stick about 3' in front of him I didnt see and it made my arrow hit about 2" in front of him. Last year in the same place I saw a bigger buck by far but could not get a shot! He walked by at 20 yards, and I was so excited I was shaking. Anyways, my grandfather worked at PD Chino for many years, he was a shovel repair foreman before PD went to teams, and I worked at PD Morenci for about 2 years, and I am jelous that we werent able to hunt there too.

Anyways very nice deer, both of them. And good luck on future hunts.