Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Shark Bow Fishing

At the Phoenix ISE show a group of us booked a bow-fishing trip to California for sharks (http://www.makomattsmarine.com/page%201.htm). This past weekend we went to Long Beach to give it a try.

We meet up with Matt at 4 am and embarked on our trip. We traveled about 30 miles out in the Ocean and began chumming. After a few hours of observing the chum line, a Mako presented itself. My friend Warner shot it and basically killed it (it was alive but did not put up a fight) it was really exciting to see a shark shot with a bow. After we got the shark in the boat we began chumming again. A hour or so went by and another shark came in, but did not stay long and so the chumming continued.

After another hour or so, another Mako came in (it was guesstimated at 100 lbs, but still a smaller shark as Matt took a giant 500 pounder on Wednesday). Fortunately this shark was hungry and stayed around after I had missed a few times, the shot was less than 5 yds, but the with the movement of the boat and the angle of the shark in the water, it took a few times for me to get the hang of it. Finally my arrow connected and another friend reeled it in (with a fishing pole). After fighting the shark to the boat, (that's when the real fun began) we each shot it again with a regular arrows and broadheads.

Mako Matt wanted to keep chumming as he felt a large shark was lurking around , but after another few hours nothing presented itself and we called it a day. We arrive back at the dock around 3 p.m.

This was a great trip and will be going back, but for a "deep water" trip. For a deep water trip you go out much further and that is where the 800+ pounders live.... I would book again with Matt in a heart beat (he also books regular fishing trips)

Hope you enjoy the pics....

post-295-1277750070_thumb.jpg

post-295-1277750135_thumb.jpg

post-295-1277750286.jpg

post-295-1277750296.jpg

You know what sucks about that?......................Nothing. Congrats looks like a lot of fun!

It was a blast for 3 of us....one person in our group got very, very sea sick "I pretty much feel worse that I ever have in my life" was a direct quote as he was leaving chum of his own off the side of the boat.

Grilled fresh shark with pineapple taste sooo good!!

Redman

I think that is Frickin' Bad AZZZZ! Congrats.

Do they limit you to one fish? Wonder how the shark sport fishermen like those guys??

I think that is Frickin' Bad AZZZZ! Congrats.

Do they limit you to one fish? Wonder how the shark sport fishermen like those guys??

Thanks it was cool!

No limit to one shark. Matt said it was up to us if we wanted to shoot the smaller sharks as they came in, he said sometimes the larger sharks hang back (by shooting the smaller sharks the big ones won't come in), we did not want to wait.... so any size of shark that came in was getting shot at. Looking back I would not have change a thing.

It was pretty cool when a large sea lion came by the boat, it must have been the stupidest sea lion because it basically swan in our chum line, the larger shark tried to take a bite out of it....right in front of us, but the sea lion toyed with it, man those things can swim gracefully. We also saw a bunch of dolphins and some whales.

It cost each of us $250 so the price was not bad at all for the action we got and time out at sea.

Redman

That's on my "bucket list" for sure! That is awesome! The price seems cheaper than I would've guessed, how much would it be for a farther trip out? Congrats!!! JIM>

That's on my "bucket list" for sure! That is awesome! The price seems cheaper than I would've guessed, how much would it be for a farther trip out? Congrats!!! JIM>

Thanks Jim, it was pretty darn cool...Mako Matt told us the price would be about double ($1,500-$2000) to go way out after the 500-1000 pounders with most of the cost going towards fuel and chum.

Redman

I hope he's still operating next spring/summer, too busy now, but I've gotta do that!!! Thanks! JIM>