Sign in to follow this  
Joshy25

Back from World Cup! Did some hunting

Wanted to thank everyone for their help. Especially Mr. Quimby. Your info sent me looking in the right direction and I really appreciate it! :)

As I stated about month or so ago I was in Joburg for work during the world cup. I took my bow just in case I had a chance to hunt & I am so glad that I did. I am trying to plan and save for a trip in 2 years.

Over the course of the trip I had talked to many PH's and had found one that I really liked and could afford. He cut me a great deal & the hunt dates of July 4th & 5th were set. I actually only had a day & half to hunt but I was thrilled with the opportunity.

Sat water the whole time and it was a tough hunt. Overcast weather both days kept the animals from moving too much. at about 9am on the 4th I had a massive Wart hog come in. Shot was too far for me to feel comfortable so I passed as it was very early on the first day. About an hour later we had 2 young Kudu bulls come in and drink for about 2 minutes. What a beautiful animal! Then had a big Oryx cow come in. Couple more wart hog's come in with no shots offered.. which was the story of the day. Decided at about 1pm to move to a different water hole.

As the day was ending, and my first day of hunting coming close to an end 2 pigs came in quick to the water. Big sow & a smaller boar. I saw the boar pass by a rock that I had ranged at about 38 yards. Not knowing if I would be given another shot opportunity I decided to take a shot. He was quarting away when I rested my 40 pin on him and let it fly. It all happend so quickly as these things always do, but I heard the arrow hit & instantly saw a light blood spray out of the pig & he took off into the bush. I saw the shot hit & it was a doozy. Right in the crease of his front shoulder. Having the quarting shot I was worried right away about the shot but calmed myself down knowing it was a good hit & gave him 30 min before I started to look for the arrow.

I replayed the scene from where the pig was at when hit and instantly started following a great blood trail. I was using a 100 Grain, 4 blade muzzy & they are amazing! Stevie wonder could have followed this blood trail. We tracked the blood trail into the thick bush on alert for a wounded pig. After about 60 yards into the bush I found a nice little pile of frothy pink lung blood. I knew he was hit hard and continued the search.. little over 50+ yards down the blood trail laid my first South African big game animal.

34778_1481859759402_1021067106_1424922_3538760_n.jpg

34778_1481859799403_1021067106_1424923_1920871_n.jpg

34778_1481859839404_1021067106_1424924_3467527_n.jpg

34487_1481874479770_1021067106_1424959_15677_n.jpg

That is A W E S O M E !! a african hog is one of my dreams! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your adventure.

Ernesto C

Great Kill and Excellent Job :P

Nicely done on the hog! I was set up on one, but he went through the wrong opening in the bush.

Did you get any more animals?

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I was there for work and only had a day & half to hunt.. I had several opportunities at some nice waterbuck, & blue Wildebeest.. but felt the shot was not right, plus light was fading quickly..

I also did not get to attend any of the games, I would have loved to see the some of the USA games.

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I was there for work and only had a day & half to hunt.. I had several opportunities at some nice waterbuck, & blue Wildebeest.. but felt the shot was not right, plus light was fading quickly..

I also did not get to attend any of the games, I would have loved to see the some of the USA games.

Congratulations! Hope you enjoyed my friend Henri van Aswegen and his family. I believe the waterhole where you shot your warthog is the same one where I shot a blue wildebeest on my last trip to South Africa three or four years ago. Henri's daughter Priscilla was only about four or five years old then, and she actually tracked it for 100 yards before finding it dead in the brush behind the dam. A couple years later, Henri e-mailed me to say she had shot her first animal, a trophy impala ram with a .222. It was her sixth birthday gift from him.

Bill Quimby