AzHuntingAddict

Glassing setup

I glassed for several years using a similar set up to yours. I would think a velcro adapter would be nicer than using that piece of wood and would be a fairly cheap upgrade. You can always upgrade the head and the tripod later if you want.

when i was useing the small tripod i took the head off of a small table top tripods and drilled out the center for a longer bolt and then i put the bolt through a 1/4in drive 7/16th socket. then removed the lower part of the pan mechanism and put the upper section over the socket. up and down it moves ok but side to side is silky smooth across the socket.

since i have upgraded my whole set up. im using vortex viper 10x42 binos with promaster adapter. on a manfrotto 128cr fluid pan head. the legs are vipers high country. and a vortex nomad spotter. i have been more than impressed with the combo so far. i have taking pic through vortexs digital camera adapter, but with the heat the last few months if its too far away the pics are crap. the set up is light enough and steady enough. i have even used the gun claw while practicing at the range.

post-4310-1280557034_thumb.jpg

post-4310-1280557930_thumb.jpg

oz31p, nice setup. I may go that way and ditch the wimpy head the tripod came with. I will get a better rig someday, and will make due with what I have. Amanda, I am looking at getting the velcro adapter for this small setup. Good ideas, and great photos of what is being used.

I see tripods often at yard sales they are normaly cheap in price sturdy but a lttle heavey but still quite the value plus they are normaly set up and you can spot then from the street with out getting out of your truck.