Sign in to follow this  
CalebFortner

First Black Bear

Hello. I am very new to hunting, and very new to this site. So bear (get it) with me.

Enough lame joking. I will be heading up to 24a this Thursday evening to set up camp, and scounting Friday morning for some bear. My father in law, a buddy of mine, and myself will all be scounting for our first bears. We went up on the 13th to check out the area, but found no sign of them. Saw plent of prickly pear with nice fruit, a pond and a few springs not too far north from Dripping Springs.

I appreciated all of the comments on BuckFever's previous post, so there is no need to repeat yourself unless you want to. But if there is anything else you have that could help at all in our hunt, I would love to read it. Has anyone heard of many bears being harvested in 24a? Should we be looking for an ear twitching behing a prickly pear. When is their most active time? Should I be looking for them at 300 yards, or closer to 700 yards? Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Just look for a black or brown spot in a sea of green. You will need to glass alot. If they are in the pears they will be in real early and then back again later in the late afternoon and early evening. Good luck on your hunt! Hope you get one.

Rule number one.... Don't tell us where you are going. ;)

Rule number two.... Glass your butt off in the canyons... but don't neglect the flats if the Pears are ripe.... and in the Accorns is also very good if pears are not. ;)