Sign in to follow this  
fisher_hunt

Steelhead 100grain Broadheads

I'm trying to decided what broadhead to use this year for a deer hunt in December and a javelina hunt January. Last year I used steelhead 3-blade and shot a javelina from 40 yards with a complete pass through. When I retrieved my arrow I found that one of the blades had broken off. A couple of weeks later I shot a coues deer from 60 yards with a complete pass through. Once again when I retrieved my arrow one of the blades had broken off. My question is should I continue to use steelheads? Or should I look into a mech broadhead with stronger blades?

Guest soazarcher

I had excactly the same thing happen twice this year!

100 grain steelhead-on a coues deer, 40 yards, a little too far forward, I recovered 1 blade with the arrow, never found the other two. the steelhead blew a nice hole through the deer and he only went 25 yards. smashed the front shoulder bone and exited behind the 3 rib.

Excactly 7 days later, i shot an antelope. Arrow stayed in the animal, no exit wound, lost 1 blade and other two were hanging by a thread and wrapped around the ferrule.

Still, 2 very dead animals, but the steelheads are in my "jackrabbit" box, and I went back to Muzzy's!

I've heard the 125's are much sturdier.....

Matt

(soazarcher)

Guest 300 wsm

I have never shot steelhead broadheads but I would have to say if they are flying good and killing cleanly, then why change. You can always buy new ones. To me a big game kill is worth a broadhead.

I shoot steelforce 85gr sabertooth broadheads. I have shot a mule deer, and a big black bear with them. Both were complete pass throughs and both animals went down with in 60 yds, and both broadheads were just fine and still razor sharp afterwords.

I agree with 300 wsm, if they are killing the animals you shoot cleanly and you are comfortable shooting them. On another note, I would not use them on anything heavier than a deer. Like elk or bear. I lost my first elk due to a weak broadhead. One of my friends ended up shooting it in rifle season, and the broadhead was bent up and stuck in a rib. Since then I switched to Vortex and havent had a problem since. Another thing I noticed is they shoot just like my field tips, and they stay sharp for a long time, I have used the same 3 fore target practice for 3 years, and I could still hunt with them. The only bad thing I have seen with them is the o-rings (CARRY EXTRA) they crack over time. I use the 100 grain 2 blade. I tried the 3 blade, and did not like them, they flew funky and I had one of the rings that hold the blades broke, now I use them for coyotes and smaller game only.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

i am a beginner coues deer bow hunter that recently stroked a 900 lb buffalo from 40 yrds. 400 gr arrow tipped w/ 100gr muzzy and that set-up blew clean through her and on the exit (both lungs and backside of heart perferated) 2 inches of rib were gone , completley.. also same arrow on mature bull elk tipped w/ 100 ultimate steel was dandy, entry looked like exit both animals went 50 yards or less