Sign in to follow this  
kidso

Scat Salvaging

I'm running out for half a day Saturday afternoon to check my trail cameras. Hopefully they will still be there and I'll be able to post some pictures on the Trail Camera sub-topic of any critters that were snapped!. I'm also looking to salvage any lion scat to prep a camera with it to see how that pans out for attracting lions. That will be interesting! I'm taking out a little buddy of mine, so I'll call a late afternoon stand or two as well to see what comes for dinner.

You could always go to the zoo and get some jaguar scat, that seems to work pretty good. :huh:

Took a neighborhood 14 year old boy out with me yesterday. We left at 1:00 pm and got back at 9:00 pm. We had enough time to make it into 23 north and check the three cams we set up back in July. We made one stand at dusk, but no responses to the predator call.

Trail cam one had only 37 pictures centered on a nice pool in a creek bottom that was still flowing. All we had was triggers from moving shadows and branches. On cam number two, we had a mineral salt lick and a 5-gallon bucket filled with water. There was a large bobcat or small lion scat, all white and full of fur right next to the bucket. Sadly, the bucket had been knocked over and there were no photos on the SD card. I think someone came and deleted them. I left the scat there and reset the system with fresh batteries to see if the scat bait works for us. At our last cam, we had another mineral lick and 5-gallon water bucket. We had 637 photos. About half were triggered by shadows or vegetation, but we had tons of elk, some deer (only does), one bobcat, and two bear. I'll post a few pics on the Trail Cam Subsection of the forum.

We still had a blast and the boy wants to go out agin in October, but on an overnight camp/hunt. Probably the opening weekend of rifle bear in 23 north.