Sign in to follow this  
CalebFortner

First Fox

Went out scouting for some bear in 24a a few weekends ago. Saw some sign and decided to make a call. Had this little guy start bolting in right when we began calling. I didn't see him until he was about 2 yards away. His tail popped over the bush in front of me, then he was basically right on me. Once he saw me he turned and started to bolt. I drew my .270 to the hip, and took a blind shot. We called for another minute, and I got up to look. Died right on the other side of the bush.

My first fox kill, and is also my first varmint kill! Nice looking guy, but small.

Fox_1.bmp

Fox_2.bmp

Fox_3.bmp

Did you see any bears at all during your hunt? Was their much left of the fox hide after smacking it with your .270? I shot a bobcat that came in with my .300 while calling bear and it blew his back out. I sewed it up and home tanned it and use it in my classroom for science lessons, but it sure blew out a large exit wound!

Nice Job!!!!

Did you see any bears at all during your hunt? Was their much left of the fox hide after smacking it with your .270? I shot a bobcat that came in with my .300 while calling bear and it blew his back out. I sewed it up and home tanned it and use it in my classroom for science lessons, but it sure blew out a large exit wound!

There was a cantaloupe size hole in the lung/back. So there wasn't much left at all. It was my first time skinning and I completely screw it up. So we tossed what was left of it to the birds. We didn't see any bear. We saw extremely fresh poo, and tons of ripe pears; but now bear.

I'm excited to get out and do some more. I also have my first coues hunt in October. Can't wait for that either.