Heat

Minox BL 15x56 BR @ Cameraland? Doug?

Hi Everyone,

I drew a sheep tag this year and am thinking about getting my third set of binos so I have the "big eyes" category covered. I ordered a pair of 15x58 Minox from Cameraland for a friend a couple of years ago, and used them on my pronghorn hunt this year. They worked for me, but they are just on the edge of being too wide for my face. While checking things out on the net I noticed that Cameraland and Eagle Optics now carry the Minox BL 15x56 BR binoculars. I've seen some reviews for the 13's in that series but NONE for the 15's which I would guess are pretty new. Can anybody tell me how well the BL 15's match up to the BD 15's optically? They are much, much lighter but unfortunately probably made in China. I would prefer to stay away from stuff from there, but if they match up with the other 15's optically, it might be worth it in weight savings. I know the price is considerably more too, but that isn't a make it or break it factor for me. What I do know is that for MY eyes, the Swaros are DEFINITELY NOT $1700+ better than the BD 15x58 ED BR that Cameraland has for $550.

I'm also now considering the Optolyth 15x63 Royal at SWFA for about $1250. These have some sweet glass it looks like and they are made in Germany. Not ridiculously heavy, but not sure how narrow they go, and how they do on eye relief. I wear glasses so that is a factor. I don't know anything about their warranty. Hard to plop down that kind of coin without seeing and comparing first.

Also considering the Kaibabs, but again would prefer a Euro or Japanese made optic if possible since no one makes good optics here in the good ol USA.

Any thoughts on the subject would be great!

Doug at Cameraland, can you chime in since you can get your hands and eyes on both the Minox BL 15x56 and the BD 15x58?

Nick

Good to know...thanks!

here the latest on the topic...The BL's are excellent, however, the ED's do have better edge sharpness and higher color resolution.

Guest 300ultramag.

minox +1

kaibabs are a great pair as well..

hope that helps... good luck with your tag.. truly.. enjoy it!

Nick,

The 15x56's are excellent and yes much lighter. I can see a slight difference between these and the 15x58's, however, i have clients who have told me they prefer the Minox BL 13x56 to the 15x58 so it really is a personal thing

I have the 15x58 and love them! Be sure to get a good tripod also, it makes a big difference when it is breezy!

minox +1

I agree i have a pair of minox and they are greta i love them!!!! ;)

15x 58 i have two pairs and i love them

Thank you all for the input on the 15's. I would have bought the 15x58 Minox if they were not too wide for my face. I ended up with the Vortex Kaibabs. I was really looking for input on the Minox 15x56, but I guess there aren't many folks that even realize those binos exist; I guess hands on experience was a real long shot.

Nick