Sign in to follow this  
MangeyJoe

Copper Fouling

Copper Fouling

How much is too much, how free of copper fouling must an accurate rifle barrel be?

I only have one rifles of high power. A Remmy 700 ADL in .270. I shot remington core lokt (it worked great and gave me excellent patterns) I shot 30 rounds in a matter of 4 hours when my rifle was cooled down, of course. Its easy to remove the powder fouling, a couple of passes with a brush and some patches and its gone. The copper fouling takes a bit longer, any recommendations on a product I should use? I'm currently using a "Gunslick" cleaning kit with patches, ultra lube, and ultra-kleinz advanced gun cleaner which claims to remove copper foiling but I cleaned the heck out of it and it still seems like it has copper spirals in the same pattern as the rifling inside of the barrel. It is only visible when you shine a flashlight down the barrel from the bore, down. Is the point to have the inside of the barrel BLACK with no copper spiraling streaks?

So does copper fouling build up to a certain point and then stay at that level?

How can the military rifles remain accurate if they are copper fouled, especially snipers?

Is even a little a bad thing? Does it ruin the rifle.

Any experienced rifle shooters out there with answers??

I want to keep this rifle in excellent condition, which the exterior is really clean. No matter how much I clean it, it has the fouling, but it's not a large build up, I think it's supposed to have markings from the bullet traveling in the barrel, it can't just be 100% black and have no markings from being shot . it's like marks from how the bullet traveled.

it normally seems more noticeable when looking down the muzzle. i had the same problem with copper streaks in the groves.

birchwood casey make bore scrubber specifically for copper and nitro fouling. i have found it works extremely well.

bore scrubber they make a foaming version but ive never tryed it.

since i have began using it i can get all of the copper fouling out normaly ill run a wet patch and let it soak an hour or 2.

i have not noticed any improvement or degradation of accuracy.

military rifle do not get heavily fouled with copper because soldiers spent hours and hours cleaning them (or at least the army personnel do)

I bought shooters choice copper remover and it works great but it still gray streaks in the groovs, is that normal?

Sweets or Butch's bore shine.

If that does not work, some JB bore paste will scrub it off, but don't make a habit out of using it.

I'm going to buy Butch's bore shine tomorrow. Will this product completely clean the interior of the barrel and remove all the gray streak marks in the groovs 100% so there is no marks and it is entirely BLACK, and should I make a habit of using this after everytime I shoot or hunt?

Do you have a stainless barrel? If so, I think you are supposed to be careful using ammonia based cleaning agents. It could cause pitting.

You should not have to use every time you clean. If your barrel is getting that fouled every time you shoot, you might have another issue. Maybe try moly coated bullets?

If you use ammonia based solvents DO NOT let it soak in the barrel. It is bad for it. Its good to run a dry patch when you are done and I like to run an oily patch through once complete. I don't know how bad the fowling is but there is always marks in the barrel once you shoot through it.

If I have any fouling I like Sweets. I Molly cote my bullets though and would recomend it. Also, I clean my gun alot more often, every 10 shots or so.

I cleaned it out and it only has markings which is the marks in the barrel from once you shoot through it, but it is clean and copper free. I don't believe that the ADL's have stainless steel barrels.

Would remoil prevent rust inside the barrel if i apply it in the barrel and wipe it with cloth?

Can shotguns get pitting and fowling? I own a Remington 870 and I never thoroughly clean it, I just run a bore sling through it and clean the exterior with RemOil. Is that fine? For a 4 year year old shotgun it is in new condition (inside and out).