Sign in to follow this  
Grey Ghost Hunter

.17 HMR

Not legal.

You can use .22 and 5mm rimfire magnums on javelina, but not the 17hmr. But you can use the 17hmr on turkeys. R12-4-304 (page 62 in the regs)

I'd use a 22 centerfire before a 22WMR, or use a bow to have fun stalking close.

Welcome to CWT.

RR

I wouldn't do it even if it was legal. Those pigs are thick boned. If you get a front leg, you will most likely not recover the animal. Javy's are as tough as a cowboy boot. I have had an arrow bounce off a front shoulder of a pig before. Unless you are 100% sure you can get that 17 grain bullet behind the shoulder and put in in a PERFECT spot, I don't recommend it. I will recommend a 223. Sweet shooting gun. Ammo can be found for cheap, and it has the punch to get dogs and other varmits out to 3-4 hundred yards. Just my 2 cents :) .

Wouldn't use it even if it was legal. That tiny bullet would EXPLODE be for it got to the vitals.

The new 20 grain bullets are alot tougher and will hold together. One of my guides in Texas has killed a number of Wild Hogs with his .17 HMR. all head shots.

So it would work fine in Texas, but I would buy a 22mag or a small centerfire for AZ.

I have a .17 Hummer and it is an awesome gun. Very accurate and cheap to shoot.

Dan