anthonyrmatthews

Vortex Viper 15x50's

My brother is looking for a pair of bino's for under $500. I use Swaro's but obviously those are over that $500 limit. I seen that Doug has these on what looks like a great sale, but I am asking for any input from anybody that has used them. I have no experience with these, but I do have a Vortex spotting scope and it works great. Thank you so much.....

Im assuming you were talking about Doug@CamerlandNY's post

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...showtopic=21211

vipers 15x50 for less than 400.

With $500 I would opt for razors in 12x50 (doug has them real cheap right now)

I like the 12x razors. Ive never had a pair of 15x Vipers to look through. I might be missing out but I know the Razors are worth the non discounted price.

With more guys glassin I like it when guys use different power glass. If everyone has 15s they all glass the same stuff (distance wise). A glassin buddy with 12s finds stuff close before a guy w/ 15s starts pickin it apart.

I've personally looked through the viper 15's and thought they were junk. My buddy sent them in twice for repair and both times they said they within the the proper specs of adjustment. They ended up swapping the binos for a comparable scope to keep my friend on the positive side of Vortex. I would try before you buy on these particular binos. Many people do not like them. On the other hand, the Vortex warranty is outstanding and they strive for customer satisfaction IMO.

! i have had a pair for about a year and half now and they work OK for me, but now i want something better so if you can, i would say save up and buy something better... like i said they have worked fine for me over the year they suck in low light conditions, mine focus good to my eyes but i have heard alot of people say they cant get them to focus right... so like said above try before you buy...

If you don't have deep pockets they work just fine. I have a set I use as backups and loaners. I have found a lot of game with them and so have others. And $400 is a whole lot less than $2400.

Once someone has Swaro's everything else is junk to them.......... :(

I've guided with a guy that has old bino's & spotter, he can find more game with his "old junk" than most people I have met with Swaro's. It is not the gear, it is how you use it.

Is your brother looking for 15's under $500 or just binoculars under $500?

If he has his mind set on 15's for under $500, there aren't too many choices. I have used the 15x50 Vipers and was not impressed at all. Besides the focusing issue, I saw a serious color-fringing issue, especially when looking at right angles to the sun.

I also think that 15's are "specialty glass" to be used for long-distance glassing from a tripod - 15's should be used in addition to 8's or 10's.

If your brother is just looking for binoculars under $500, he will be much better off buying 8's or 10's and staying away from 15's until he can afford both... the Vortex Razors are great!

Make sure you also call the Outdoorsmans before makign your purchase. They are all hunters and shooters who actually use these products in the field. Plus, they should meet any ngable competitor's price on the same product - just ask!

Thank you all for the input. You are very helpful. I think he's gonna start looking at some this weekend.

Trent- He has a smaller pair of glasses, but is looking to invest in some higher quality ones. I wished we had options to choose from at that $ amount on 15's. LOL! I did call Outdoorsmans but they said they can't match Doug's price in the Razors and didn't really believe it. Thanks for the info thou.