Sign in to follow this  
JVS

Circus hunt

Just got back from my father-in-law's antlerless hunt in 5BN. Man was that a circus B) . Most everyone was curtious and followed the rules, but when you have a brazillion (new word from the dubya joke :D ) people hunting on a finite number of sq miles, it becomes VERY frustrating!!! People here, people there, people every-freakin-where. Even while hiking we came across lots of people. I know there are Coues hunts that are similar. What do you guys think about coaxing the G&F into splitting up some of these hunts into two different dates??? Hunting around that many people is not just frustrating, it gets right down dangerous.

I thought it already was broken up into different hunts and subunitswith an October hunt, December hunt, then divided between 5bn, Grapevine, and Twin Arrows. I helped my nephew on a December 5bn hunt a few years ago and fortunately we did not have those problems. It's a pretty big area, and I think there were only something like 200 tags. Have the tag #s increased?, and have they returned it back to one hunt area?

Yeah, they increased from 200 to 300. It seemed like it didn't matter where we went, there were people. Not only hunters, but campers. I know, they have every right to be there, but I saw some pretty inconsiderate campers. One guy and his wife were strolling in a meadow just before dusk. Probably PETA B) . Anyway, 5BN has been split up into sub-units, but the sub-units have 140 tags at the same time... :D On the other hand, with all the commotion we were at least able to fill a tag B) . I think we ought to have some splitting of some coues hunts. Nothing more frustrating than sharing a canyon with two or three other hunters.

My buddy's wife had a any elk tag there too, I think the Twin Arrows. He said the same thing about the people, everywhere they looked there was someone and made it very frustrating to hunt. She was lucky enough to shoot a small bull yesterday though.

I wont do stuff like that anymore. I choose only tags with limited tags and/or backpack to get away. Life's too short.

Mike

Everybody always hunts the same spots in 5BN. Especially on top of the mesa. Its so flat that anybody can get anywhere they want to hunt. There are some spots in there that I can almost promise that nobody got into. Anyway, You tagged out but that, unfortunately, isn't always what makes a hunt successful. What I love about hunting is getting out there, by myself. Its tuff when you have hundreds of other people that want the same thing you do.

Donnie

I too had the 5BN (Marshall Lake Hunt Area) antlerless elk tag and agree that it was a circus. The hysteria was simply due to the number of people in a concentrated area. But, it made me hunt harder and in a different way from my original plan, which was good. And thankfully, I killed a two year old yesterday afternoon.

Now, I cannot wait for my San Carlos Coues hunt in November.

Have a great Fall!

Did you happen to see the large red Silverado with the Pisson USO sticker that was stuck? Yep that was me! I got up there Wed. after noon, and couldn't find a spot to set up a tent anywhere. On Thursday afternoon I woke up from my nap to two dogs in my tent! Some idiot had camped next to my truck! I then thought about what I was doing very hard, I didn't have a tag, I was just helping, so I loaded up and went to 6A to scout for my dads hunt next month. :D