Sign in to follow this  
5.8L95f150

first timer in 30A

hey guys iam a new user and just thought id ask if you guys have any tips for a first time deer hunter. i got drawn in unit 30Aan. i just got back from a two day scouting trip down there (i live in Pheonix) and had no success. i need some help on everything but i think that killed me was my scent. i washhed my camo in scent neutralizer. another thing that killed me is i was to loud walking around. i was up in the dos cabeza mountains just outside willcox and did not find a good glassing spot till the end of the 2nd day(or may be i was moving around to much. i just did'nt know what i was doing if any of you guys have any tips at all let me heir them.

thanks

well I have never hunted 30A but as far as hunting style goes what works for me especially in the lower parts of az is finding a place to just sit and watch the countryside. if you walk around trying to find a good place to glass your never gonna find it. you need to glass everyehere and anywhere even if you dont think deer will be there. and look at every rock and under every bush. sometimes you will just strike out and sometimes you will see lots of deer. thats all part of it. getting out there working your butt off and having fun doing it is what hunting is about. seeing deer is just the cherry on top. now I am no expert on hunting whatsoever I just do what works for me and try to stay consistant in doing it even when it gets tough. so I hoped I have helped a little and if not I got some pratice typing :lol:

Check out the book sold on this site called How to Hunt Coues Deer. That should be a good start.

Setup early in the morning, on a point that afords you a good view, preferably with the sun to your back. Use high powered quality binoculars mounted on a tripod and commence to picking the area apart. They are there.

Scott

thanks i got a good pair of nikon binocculars (i think the guy at sportsmans told me that they were a good bang for your buck, i payed $300 for mine) and i think i have a perfect spot to sit and wait for deer. i'll see if i can pick up that book. i have some books already but none of them are for couse deer.

i have a two quick questions for you guys

my friend that is going with me could tell the difference between mule deer and whitetail deer but i dont feel comfortable yet if you guys have any tips let me know.

also the spot i was thinking of was at the top of a mountain and i wanted to know how far away i should camp and how early i should get out there(should i go when it is still dark, before dawn?????)

thanks again

Definately before the sun comes up, and stay out all day if possible. Amanda sells the book on this website http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/books.htm, it will help with a lot of your questions. The tail is the only definitive way to identify them, but the rack and the size can help, there are quite a few of these guys that might have other ways to identify them, no matter what make sure. Good Luck on your hunt and welcome to the site.

Here is the link to azgfd unit 30a, http://www.azgfd.com/h_f/hunting_units_30a.shtml

Be very aware of where you are hunting in the Dos Cabezas, alot of the mtn. range is private property and some of the ranchers are VERY protective of their land. The name Klump may ring a bell with some people on this site--they have ranches on both sides of the range. Get some GOOD BLM maps that differentiate between fed., state and private property. Unfortunately, because of a few disrespectful, vandalizing hunters, more and more ranchers are getting unfriendly to hunters.

A mtn. called the Camels Back has some trophies, i've been told by a reliable local, but don't know about access.

I have land at the north end, and go there just about every weekend to work on a small cabin we're building---and can tell you the deer are thin in this area, there seems to be need of a mtn. lion hunt. I have found 4 cow carcasses in about 2 months in our area, all appeared healthy. Also part of a deer carcass on my property. There's more lion sign than deer sign in my immediate area.

Were you in a white truck by chance, like a Ford sport trac/ pick-up Sunday?

In the Zeits Canyon area off of Page Ranch road?

If that was you I saw down the canyon parked at the dead-end by the old water tanks (dry), thats part of the area i'm describing. Also, the area north of Ft. bowie used to be pretty good with easy access, but don't know for sure now.. good luck

that was most likely me!

do you know of any place that would be good to hunt in 30A. i looked at a map and there is alot of private land in the other mountain ranges any suggestions.

where you in the big white truck at the base of the mountain!

that was most likely me!

do you know of any place that would be good to hunt in 30A. i looked at a map and there is alot of private land in the other mountain ranges any suggestions.

where you in the big white truck at the base of the mountain!

I was a few hundred yards below the communication tower, working on our cabin.

I noticed a white truck down in the canyon bottom about 600 yards away, and a guy on a hillside looking around. I have a gray truck. Was that you then?

I added a few things to my original post without seeing you had responded, so will say again that the area north of Ft. Bowie used to be good with easy access, all BLM land. It may get alot of hunting pressure now though, since alot of private land has been cut off in the last few years. Also, the Camelsback (it is on maps) is suppose to have some big ones, but access can be an issue, not just due to private property, but because of remoteness--in other words, pack in.

I have been hunting unit 31 for years, and have had excellent luck---all my areas are Forest Service land, so no tresspassing issues to worry about. 30A has to much checkerboard pattern with state/federal/private land for me.

I don't even hunt my own land because 31 is so much better.

If I had to hunt 30A, I would go to the Peloncillo mtn.'s---Skeleton Canyon (where Geronimo surrendered) or Outlaw mtn. area----excellent whitetail populations and all forest service, just a little further out, though.

AZ DAVE,

How do the Pelloncio Mountains and surrounding areas look for Quail this year?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Todd

AZ DAVE,

How do the Pelloncio Mountains and surrounding areas look for Quail this year? 

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Todd

There is going to be a bumper crop this year, in my opinion. Everywhere in SE AZ seems to have BIG populations with excellent survival rates, even the low desert mtn.'s around Tucson seem to be filled with large covey's. Last Fri. in the Silverbell Mtn.'s, i'll bet I kicked up 200 birds in a 1 1/2 hour hike in the deep washs and canyons , also saw 2 mule deer and 7 javelina--all within the same time frame. That tells me we have turned the corner in drought recovery (I sure hope, anyway).

I was in the Peloncillo's last May or June--lots of water, everything was very green, quail hunting should be great. Alot of Coues, very active area.

I even kicked up several coveys in the Pinelano's (Graham) mtn.'s while scouting 2 weeks ago--never before saw them in this particular area, at least in the 5 seasons i've deer hunted there.

thanks for the tips guys and yes i'll try to make it down to outlaw mtn. and or skeleton canyon. iam going to hike the grand canyon's havasu falls this weekend but i'll try to make in to make it there next weekend

thanks again for the help,

sam

5.8L--

if you would like some more info. about the area, say so here and i'll post my phone #---it's alot easier to talk about this stuff over a phone than thru posts and messages---I know alot about that whole area and can maybe help you have a better first hunt---that can be a tough hunt area for a non-local, and especially a first timer.