Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

I got something heretical to say:

So, this whole idea sort of popped into my head the other day as I was headed back to Tucson from Flagstaff and decided to make a stop off at the Cabela's in Glendale.

I walked straight back into the 'Hall of Records' or whatever they call it and was looking at some of the amazing animals they have displayed.

In the very back of the Coue's deer section sits (in my opinion) the ugliest of the full-body Coue's mounts; a (reproduction?) of the World Record Typical Boone and Crockett Coue's - now being in the back it is kind of hard to get a good look at, and the off angles are hard to see, but one thing struck me right away - (in my experience - which is limited) that buck has a Non-Typical "Typical" frame. The G3s blast off the main beam at an odd angle, and where they erupt they increase the mass measurement substantially.

Now, the only pictures I've ever found online of the buck are on CW.com and on B&C's website

Link to best picture is here on CW: http://www.coueswhitetail.com/BC_Coues_top...c_top_5_typ.htm

post-1107-1287271126.jpg

In my opinion that buck is a Non-Typical with a "Typical" frame - how is it that B&C still consider it a "Typical"? Is it because they don't measure that many Coue's bucks? Somehow a point that goes up semi vertically from the main beam and has a matching point on the other side makes it a Typical?

If anyone else has a better photo of the buck - please post it.

Also, while I'm at it: that buck from Hidalgo County NM,( Current #2, 186 1/8) is a mule deer freakazoid.

i'll agree with you on the #2 notypical. that's a mule deer. there is some really smelly stuff goin' on with that buck. but the #1 just looks like a fat horned typical. i don't see anything there to call it a nontypical. i've also heard and read that the #2 typical is actually a little bigger than the #1, if it were ever measured by someone who isn't prejudiced to the old #1. whatever, the deer are all great bucks that deserve recognition. except that muley. that ain't a coues, period. Lark.

I am not sure what you mean by a Non-typical "Typical" Frame. That is not terminology used by measurer's.

If you want to understand how B&C and P&Y measure you just might want to get ahold of their measuring books. It is all explained in them.

Apache7mm just posted pics of a Non-Typical buck that has a very similar tine configuration to what I saw on the WR - http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...c=21556&hl=

In Dan's post do you consider the G3 on the buck's right side to be a typical point? It comes off the inside edge of the main beam at a narrower angle - compare that point to the G2 and G3 typical points on the left side of that buck.

The similarity is that the WR buck has matching G3's on the inside of its beams - but its G3s are even tighter inside than the buck in Dan's post.

Take a look at the picture of the WR buck above - tell me which point on his right side is his G2 and which is his G3 (the taller point is his G2) ... because of that tight angle the main beam looks like it runs in front of the G3.

Again - if only there was a better picture of the WR buck - you all might see what I'm saying.

Tyson,

While I am definitely no expert, I am an official measurer for SCI (don't have the juice to be a BC measurer - yet ;)), and I would classify that buck as typical. The reason being IMO is that although the 3's do come off along a different line than the rest of the tines, they still come off the top off the beam and are therefore, in my estimation, typical points. If they came off the side and began any direction but up, I would tend to agree with you. So while those tines are a bit goofy and not inline with the 2's (the 4 on the left looks to be inline with the 3 on that side however) I wouldn't classify them as non typ. Better pics might help, and I also hope Amanda comes on and gives her opinion as she has more experience than me, but that's the way I see it.

Kevin