Sign in to follow this  
EagleEye

Best Elk Hunt Ever

This is a family elk hunt for some less experienced hunters I was just trying to help.

Camp was filled with Hunting Freaks AKA Quicksand, Coonskin, Monkey, Super Sniper, and Sherpa and Danielle he still needs to earn a name.

Day 1

Start glassing early at the last place I had seen elk during my weekends scouting, glass up about 30-40 does one little button buck. We then make our way a little further up the hill when all of us start wining about how heavy our packs are. There has been so much planning and prep I think we overloaded, I was carrying 100 ft rope, 2 knives, camera, binos, pistol, orange hat, camo hat, gloves, and 73.5 oz of water. I almost start laughing there are 3 three hunters and three helpers for a total of six we are all with in 1.5 miles of each other so combined I guess we had 600-700 ft rope, 12 knives, 6 cameras 6 binos three rifles, five pistols and enough water to drown a horse, enough knives to gut 15 elk enough GPS systems you would think we would not get lost, ya right. We finally climb down hill get to the truck then drink the water out the camel back we carried around for four hours. Get a quick lunch then back out now of course we have to drive 100-150 miles of lovely AZ roads to other side of the unit because we think the elk might be over there. They might have been but we got lost and drove into at least 4 other hunters set ups, sorry guys hope we did not spook any. That night at camp I come to the "OLD CODGER THEORY" we would have better luck if we were an old gray beard with blue jeans a red flannel one those funny hats with the ears on the side carrying our 45 year old rifle which doubles as our binos, throw in a pack smokes some jolly ranchers and crusty old beat up truck with camper shell we would bag a big one for sure. Old Codgers always kill stuff with very little effort. Then at the end of night jump on CW and beg for help thanks guys we were getting our buts kicked day one ends Hunting Freaks 0 for three.

Day 2

Get up 2 hours early start drinking coffee to kill the headache one to many stories created. Still pondering "The Old Codger Theory". Glass up a spike early that's funny last year had bull tags seen 15-20 cows a day now I find a spike. Here we go again put our five thousand dollars worth of gear on and were off maybe the spike has some cows around up on the mountain. Quicksand and I reach the summit of Everest about an hour later, after hiking for awhile we smell and find a real nice 6X6 carcass with a arrow hanging out of it, so take some pics and mark the spot. Never see the spike again and start driving another 100-150 miles of AZ roads. Quicksand and I find waterhole with sign and sit for the last three hours of light we watch a coyote get a drink at 70 yds still wondering why we let him live. Get back to camp and put on CW the fact I found an elk and if you can describe the bull, arrow, shot placement, and location I will tell them where to go claim their trophy. Within 1 hour guy name Steve calls from CO describes it perfectly and says his friend is coming out to help game and fish retrieve the skull and horn for Steve the next morning. Ok that sounds cool. Meanwhile Monkey, Sherpa, and Super Sniper and Coonskin sit a ridge and glass till last dark. They talk to a guy on a quad who glassed a bull with 2 cows a bear and a nice mulie walk right under them on the same ridge they were sitting on. Guess were going there on day three. Day 2 ends Hunting Freaks 0 for 3

Day 3

Get to glassing where the bull and 2 cows were we find the bear but no elk, they tricked us. Start driving another 100-150 miles of AZ roads. Monkey and I go through some forest that looked like the tornado came through never seen that many big trees just pushed over it was crazy. Pass a couple of Old Codgers and have still not seen any cows hanging in camps or heard any shots in three days. The hunting blues are running high. After all I told them to pick this unit seeing all the cows on the bull hunt last year. At 11 am go to meet up with Anthony to give him the arrow and tell him where to take game and fish to find the 6X6. We talk a little while and he says do know who Steve is? I say we'll ya he is the poor guy looking for this elk for three weeks already. He says ya its Steve Chappel from Etreme Bulls he was filming for Extreme Bulls 7. What? are you kidding me thats awesome I have some of the videos at home. They are so appreciative and a little shocked at us finding and getting the bull back to him they tell me a place to do some glassing. Sweeeeeeeet the hunting blues are gone lets get moving on this new elk guide info. Thanks guys you are the real deal. Get to "THE SPOT" at 3 pm immediately glass up 4-5 cows feeding 2 ridges over. Monkey and Quicksand hit the sticks while me and Coonskin stay up on hill to glass. Like a locomotive here comes the craziest hale, rain thunder lightning storm I have sat through. Coonskin and I are safely hiding on the tallest hill around underneath the biggest tree we can find testing Darwinisms. The other freaks are busy down low turning their boots into 45 pound mud weights but this time they left all there gear in the truck most importantly the rain gear needless to say we pick them up in the truck and we are all a little wet. Monkey and I are not finished and got a little blood flowing after finally seeing elk. Lets jump out walk that ridge we got about hour and half of daylight left. By total accident we are "CODGER STYLE" 2 binos, 1 rifle, 1 GPS radio. Here is where my name EagleEye comes into play I see 2 cows feeding 3/4 mile away. Ok Monkey you want an elk if we double time we can make and get a shot before dark. Its to far no no no lets go. We run for oh I don't know about 15 miles in the snow uphill both ways. The cows cant see us from the tree cover and we get to 300 yds. Ok calm down breath breath, one mew she stops breath baaaang. We both see her take 1 step and tip over I do the Michael Jordan leap three feet high then they hootin and hollaring starts, the hugs high fives we are nuts. It don't get any better than that. Ok Ok Slow down now the work starts we have thirty minutes of daylight no rope, no knife, no flashlight, no common sense just "COGERING" wish I had jolly rancher that was a long run. After telling the strory 36.5 times we get the elk gutted and in the back of the truck we are a little pumped to say the least. It was his first animal, 3rd hunt ever and he also told me earlier his mom texted and said it would be cool if you shot an elk on what would have been your dads birthday, Monkeys father passed away in motorcycle accident many years ago. WOW dude almost made me cry. Thank you LORD! Ok Ok Send out the texts and get back to Steve and Anthony thanks soooo much guys what a blessing. Here comes the learning curve. Did I mention day 1 we figured out our elk pole was no longer hanging in our camping spot like it was 1 month ago. Now back at camp I trying to hang an elk pole 17 ft up in a tree with a lantern and healdlamp, 600-700 ft of tangled up rope, 12 knives. But shes finally hanging getting the cape off was ugly at best I not sure the donation place would have took it with that many holes and mistakes. Now we learn about quarter sized game bags I guess they call them that because they fit a quarter thats 1/4 an elk. Time to go Macguyver, duct tape, string, 4 quarter sized game bags and we are ready to bed down for the night those things are a little bigger than Coues deer. Day three ends Hunting Freaks 1 for 3 yahooo.

Day 4

Back to "The Spot" find a nice little bull that's funny saw none last year. Were a little tired but he has some cows with him so we take off on foot just cant get on em. Get back to camp early as some of the guys got to head for home. Ok now its just me Quicksand and Monkey how the heck would we get one off the mountain this time wait a minute, we have some quarter game bags leftover and a roll of duct tape maybe we could cut the elk up before man handling it down mountain with 6 guysand heaving it into the back of the truck. Thanks Einstein. Back to "The Spot" no more Codger Style looks like the rain train is coming around for day 2 visit were learn slowly but sit in the truck until it passes. Were dry and our boots are not dumbbells ha ha. Hour later glass some cows feeding .75 miles away, hey maybe we could get a little closer with the truck today thanks Einstein. The elk slowly move up the hill and we just cant put together. Quicksand takes a very long shot and misses but that's hunting we have all done it. I think he was looking out for me just so I would not have to call in sick to work the next day after carrying 4 elk quarters off of Everest that night. Day four ends 1 for 3. Headed home happy and proud of all my Hunting Freaks.

Big thanks to all CW members who chipped in and Anthony and Steve, all the wives at home and most importantly The Good Lord! Thanks great hunt going back in 9 days for my mule deer hunt cant wait.

Here is a pic of me on the right and Monkey on the left.

post-1257-1287545767_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the sucess! Your retelling of everything made my day (good stuff!) --- should be writing for an outdoor mag like ol' McManus in Outdoor Life. Great you stumbled on Steve's bull (I know they looked hard for it); he's a great guy and not surprised to hear how he helped put you on the elk ...

Great story. That unit can kick your butt , we have hunted it for a few years now and have had decent success, a buddy of mine had the same hunt and only saw one cow in three days, fortunately he connected. Sounds like you guys really earned and deserved to get one. My brother had the late bull hunt last year and was getting his butt kicked for three days, on the fourth day we ended up connecting on a 350 bull, his best bull to date. Going through heck to finally come on out on top always makes it sweeter. I love hearing stories like the one you have posted, great ending of good carma