coocoo4coues

Hunting the Babocomari

Has anyone ever tried hunting the Babocomari Ranch (35A)? I'm debating whether to try this area or not. I scouted it, and didn't see much. I'd like to hear from you guys.

as Lance said, it is hard to get permission out there, if you got permission then kudos to you! I know several who tried but failed.

It is a decent area to hunt, it does not carry many deer but it is one of those places where you can find monster coues and mule deer, mostly mule deer.

I have never been in the ranch area but around it, it's nice country.

Actually, yes, I did get permission. They were actually very nice about it. It took about a month before I got a reply, but once they got in touch with me, it was just a matter of scanning my tag, and sending them a copy. It definitely looks like nice country, but I have yet to see any deer there. I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience there.

Used to hunt Mule deer there every year, but don't think I ran into more than a few whitetails in all those years. Monster Mule Deer in there...

Well, I hope I'm not wasting my time looking for coues in there. I'm undecided on whether to hunt there or west of the huachucas (outside of the fort's west gate).

Sounds good. I heard from a few other people that there's some good quality deer in there. If we don't have any luck, I already mapped out a few areas in the west huachucas that we could try.

So you available Sat & Sun?

Hey tio whats up... Im off this weekend, maybe we can hunt in there, but if we see nothing but muleys we could hunt a different spot.

Well, CouesArcher and I headed out to the Babocomari Ranch Saturday morning for what we thought was going to be a memorable hunt. We made our way in to our vantage point, and started to glass. Within 20 minutes, we saw a herd of deer; two of which were nice 4 point bucks. Buck fever set in momentarily, until we glassed them up, and noticed that they were mulies! The rest of the morning was more and more of the same. We could not find a whitetail if our life depended on it. I'm sure if we had enough time, we would've eventually seen one come down to water, but time was ticking. If I would've been hunting mule deer, we both would've tagged out within an hour of getting off the truck! So we decided to move out to the west huachucas instead. We spent the next two days in and out of Manila Canyon, only to compete with the multitude of hunters coming in and shooting from every direction. Needless to say, I didn't have any luck. Still have a few days to tag out, but with my work schedule, I may have to end up eating tag soup again. I wish I would've scouted more alternative areas. Poor planning I guess. :(