Sign in to follow this  
bstpeter

Loaded Rifle in the rig?

loaded, per the law, means one in the barrel. the magazine don't count. colorado is real stiff on "loaded" guns in the vehicle. but it means loaded in the chamber. muzzloaders can have a load in them, but the cap has to be removed. Az used to have a no loaded law and there were several instances of folks getting shot trying to unload their gun when they saw a warden. as it is now, there isn't a law in Az about loaded firearms in a vehicle. and the road hunting deal is pretty weak. i know a guy that was on a quad and his wife was on behind him and she had her rifle slung over her shoulder. a really stupid warden cited em for road hunting. they were on a maintained road and on a legal machine and got a ticket. it was an ugly sucker before it was over with and they didn't pay a fine and they were after compensation from the warden for time and attorney fees and pain and suffering and all that last i heard. but just because it ain't against the law to have one in the barrel in Az, it ain't a good idea to do it. i know this much, every shooting accident in the history of guns involved a gun with one in the barrel. no round in the barrel, no shooting accident. it's that simple. like the Duke always said, "life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid". make things easier, don't be stupid. Lark.

Not the best of ideas to have a round chambered even if it is legal. Friend shot his transmission with a loaded gun in the cab. I can't relish the idea of carrying hot even while hiking.

Not sure about AZ but in Utah in order to be considered loaded it takes less than two actions to shoot. If you have to open the bolt then close it, it is not considered loaded. Magazine full is not loaded but one in the tube is definately loaded. If the mag is full even if you are road hunting it is legal as long as you leave the roadway far enough.