Sign in to follow this  
Whitesheep

Immigrant Activity?

My wife and I own eighty acres overlooking the Kino Springs golf course and the Santa Cruz River, a couple of miles east of Nogales and about 1 1/2 miles as the crow flies from the border.

To reach the edge of our property, we open a developer's locked gate and drive a half mile over a road that was bladed across the slope above land. It is open enough that anyone already in the canyon will know the instant we open the gate and drive in.

We have never visited the place without finding signs of recent human activity (including small piles of empty duct-taped plastic packages) on our land, but in maybe a hundred trips there over the past 15-20 years we have never seen a soul.

There were several times we felt we were being watched but we were never approached or threatened by anyone. However, whenever we had a tailgate picnic under one of our walnut trees, it was only a few minutes before a low-flying single-engine aircraft would fly in a circle above us. I always presumed it was a Border Patrol airplane checking us out.

Bill Quimby