Sign in to follow this  
bowdocter

couse deer hunt

The first day of my daugter deer hunt was very exciting. We had 4 girls hunting together from ages 9-14. My daughter Raelyn went to a tank the first morning. This tank was the same tank she got her first couse deer last year. We got there befor the sun was up and we sat there all day. We saw 11 couse deer does and fawns. At 3:03 pm the first buck we had seen showed up it was walking across the hill when we spoted it. She dicited it was a shooter buck so she got ready and took the shot. She shot the deer at 122 yards with her Browning A-Bolt chambered in 280 Remington. She smacked him right in the shoulder. It was such a great day! Cant think of a better way to spend the weekened!

Hey you all, get off his back, it took him four years of me raggin' on him to finally join the site :P

Here is a little more of the story, and eventually Rae's pics. My daughter Julia was one of the other hunters and while we were unable to connect on a buck on her first deer hunt, we enjoyed our time together! We saw several coues bucks, though all of them were spikes. The bigger bucks we had seen while scouting were no where to be found. Julia and I spent the first morning sitting a tank 20 miles from Raelyn, where J and I were able to glass several ridges and watch the tank. It was productive in the sense of seeing critters, but none were legal bucks. Here is a pic of two gobblers that joined one of the spikes and his mom and sister?

post-137-1289403446_thumb.jpg

This buck put on quite a show. He ran the turkeys off like a cutting horse on a calf. Then he chased the does around in circles for 15 minutes. Julia finally couldn't help but laugh out loud and sent the deer to the next county. At 2:00 pm we couldn't take sitting any more so we swapped with one of the other girls and her dad. J and I climbed out to still hunt our way back to the atvs and Mike and Kelsey moved to the tank. When they walked up to the tank a lion and her two cubs were getting a drink! Needles to say the afternoon was unsuccesful in filling a deer tag at the tank.

The rest of the weekend went much like the first morning for us. Spikes and does, no legal bucks. We enjoyed teaching our young daughters a little about hunting, some about coues deer and hopefully some about life.

Chef, all of these girls can shoot, especially the two older ones. They compete in our local 4H shooting sports club that Bowdoc leads. Whether its rifle, shotgun or muzzleloaders, these girls can flat out shoot. More importantly, they are safe!

Here are Raelyn's pictures

]post-137-1289402025_thumb.jpg

Rae and her 2nd coues buck.

post-137-1289402086_thumb.jpg

Rae and her proud Dad

post-137-1289402602_thumb.jpg

Three generations of deer hunters.

Kevin