Sign in to follow this  
azslim

Desert Bucks - some goodies

No big deal Terry......ethics are a big part of hunting and each person decides what his or hers are.

I'm home now. My rig broke, Bruce got me out of a bind, now time to do some mechanicing.

No big deal Terry......ethics are a big part of hunting and each person decides what his or hers are.

I'm home now. My rig broke, Bruce got me out of a bind, now time to do some mechanicing.

Sorry to hear that Bill--good that Bruce helped you out. You are correct we all have our own standards and comfort zone and as long as we are in the law we are all golden!

I'm glad that this thread has morphed into one of ethics and legality. A friend from AK read this forum a few years ago and commented to me that "you guys in Arizona sure use a lot of radios, don't you?" Of course, in AK radio use for hunting is illegal.

I would not agree with the idea that if it legal, then it is ethical. I think ethics should be at a higher standard than legality. The fact that use of radios, cell phones, trail cameras, bait are illegal during the hunt in some states speaks about what some consider ethical and go against the ideals of fair chase. When does it come time that our use of technology does not give the game a "fair" chance? When does a hunter's need to succeed overcome a sense of ethics and fair chase? I think we are seeing evidence of it mentioned here about the desert deer. The same applies to coues and elk hunting.

We individually have to decide what is ethical and right, but I think we as hunters all have the responsibility to offer guidance/opinion/beliefs to other hunters what we feel is right/ethical. Just as a parent should instill ethics and morality this in his/her child, it is also society's responsibility (ie it takes a village to raise a child).

slim glad you made it home ok luckily Bruce was able to get you up and running. As far as everything I have read everyone has very valid points on there opinions here. I just hope that the game and fish will step up to the plate here and make some changes to better our desert mule deer herds back so my kids and theirs will enjoy what the desert has given me over the past 25 plus years. lets hear some things that we would all like to see happen to preserve this great resource. as for me. first off lets rotate the Jr's hunt to a different unit. next I would like to see the game and fish either cut the number of tags in the units close to phoenix or split the unit in to two separate hunts IE unit 42 two 150 tags for hunts of Friday threw Thursday type hunts rotate 42 out of the muzzle loader hunt to lets say 44a every other year. last but not least i feel that we need to limit the archery hunting pressure in January by either rotating it closed every other year or put it to the draw. in the last 5 years the amount of people I have seen in the field has increased so dramatically. I know for my self I am going to spend more time out calling varmints to try and due my part to saving a few fawns. one other thing is we need more funding for water catchments Thew out the desert to expand some great country that could hold mule deer threw out the year instead of just good rain fall years.

Great Ideas. Killing more coyotes will really help out I think. I will be sure to do my part.

I would like to add that if the desert herds rebound it would be awesome if Game and Fish Had a January premium Rifle hunt for the desert with a very small amount of tags. Doubt if it would ever happen

I have hunted 37B a lot in the past few years and am happy to report I didn't contribute to the population strain one iota. This is a great topic and I agree with the Terry and the others. There are some toads in that Unit though, I had a friend text me Friday saying he just knocked down a big 4x5