Sign in to follow this  
Xman2000

sausage means our Browning smokers working OT

Just got back from unit 27 and my wife and I filled both tags and our hunting buddy asked us if we would process his deer too so we knew we were going to be busy slicing and dicing me made a couple of calls and had dependable help for the meat cutting party we processed 3 deer in less than 48 hours every jumps in and helps and we love are Lem's products and browning smoker heres a couple of pics on the jerky and summer sausage oh and our quality control surpervisors my 4yr old son Xavier and brother Jay they sample every thing they can get his hands on they love wild game meat

post-4762-1289799197_thumb.jpg

post-4762-1289799227_thumb.jpg

post-4762-1289799241_thumb.jpg

post-4762-1289799260_thumb.jpg

Nice to see that game meat getting taken care of right! I've been eating jerky, backstrap, summer sausage, italian sausage, way more meat than I am used to, for the past several weeks. My family was blessed this year with 3 elk - one bull and two cows, and we have been working really hard to put the meat to its best use.

You guys that tag out on elk, deer, whatever, and aren't sure how to make the best of it, speak up here. Lots of people on here know how to make the best of every bit of a harvest.

I have had a hard time getting my family to eat wild meat. I've found that the more I make jerky, snack sticks, sausage, brats, whatever, the more they want to gobble up. LEM makes great seasonings, and I've gotten lots of compliments on some of my beer sticks that are nothing more than cleanly trimmed deer or elk with LEM Snack Stick seasonings out of the Jerky Cannon, and dried in any dehydrator.

I'll toss this out too - those lovely backstraps and cleaned "roasts" of back quarters. Don't be afraid to cut them into strips around 3/8 inch, toss on a little Cavender's or Montreal seasoning, then dip them lightly into some flour before crisping them in really hot olive oil. Seriously, some of the most tender, most flavorful, and most appealing game meat can be prepared this way.

Nice to see that game meat getting taken care of right! I've been eating jerky, backstrap, summer sausage, italian sausage, way more meat than I am used to, for the past several weeks. My family was blessed this year with 3 elk - one bull and two cows, and we have been working really hard to put the meat to its best use.

You guys that tag out on elk, deer, whatever, and aren't sure how to make the best of it, speak up here. Lots of people on here know how to make the best of every bit of a harvest.

I have had a hard time getting my family to eat wild meat. I've found that the more I make jerky, snack sticks, sausage, brats, whatever, the more they want to gobble up. LEM makes great seasonings, and I've gotten lots of compliments on some of my beer sticks that are nothing more than cleanly trimmed deer or elk with LEM Snack Stick seasonings out of the Jerky Cannon, and dried in any dehydrator.

I'll toss this out too - those lovely backstraps and cleaned "roasts" of back quarters. Don't be afraid to cut them into strips around 3/8 inch, toss on a little Cavender's or Montreal seasoning, then dip them lightly into some flour before crisping them in really hot olive oil. Seriously, some of the most tender, most flavorful, and most appealing game meat can be prepared this way.

ya can't say enough about my LEM products the preseason mixes plus the equimpment like grinders tools ect make processing Deer and elk very easy and like you I alwaqys get compliments I made some killer summer sausage I mixed one bacth with jalipeno peepers my Mom grew in her garden and added shredded cheese and man what an awesome flavor .I also made a hatch green chili one and love it just enough kick and all the green chili flavor .If you havent tried making your own jerky and meat you havent lived its easy and comming up with diffrent combos is half the excitment !

Xman2000 whats ur take on that smoker. I have been wanting one and just don't know.

I Love it can't say enough about it .It's propane so it is easy to operate easy set up and clean up I opted for the smaller one and it was the best choice for me as it will handle all my smoking needs like fish ,turkey beef and of course all the wild game I have the privilege of taking. plus I'm a huge Browning fan ;)

Amanda,

I'm not an expert by any means, but the summer sausage I have made was with a Hi-Mountain kit from Cabela's. It uses a cure and comes with spices. It works well but is a little bland for my taste. I made six pounds of summer sausage out ot the muley I killed earlier in the month and added some spices (white pepper, garlic salt, etc) and jalapeno and cheese to some of it (hoping it would be hot enough to keep the kids out of ;) and it turned out great (and the kids love it too :angry: ) I smoke with a very large homeade smoker that I've modified for low temps for 6 hours (internal temp of 156F) and I'm very proud of the sausage. I intend to explore some other recipes in the future but this one is easy to use and turns out great.

Kevin