crazyaboutcoues

Burro Mountain youth hunt

I was lucky enough to help out a young hunter again this year in the Burro Mountains. Eric is 10 years old and took his very first buck yesterday. We hunted hard for muledeer on Saturday and found 5 different bucks. We set him up for about a 100 yard shot but the bucks never gave us a shot. Later on we glassed up a very nice 3 point with solid eyeguards. We made the stalk and Eric took the shot. Unfortunatley the bullet missed the mark. No problem we have four more days. Sunday had us on top of the ridge where Cole Horchler (CB1's son) took his buck last year. I figured we might get lucky on a coues buck. We glassed several coues deer but only one buck that was over 700 yards going the other way :huh: . At about 9am I told Mario (Erics dad) that I was going to head to the next ridge and see if I could find something. About an hour later I found his buck bedded down under a juniper. At first glance I thought it was huge Coues buck :o . Upon further inspection it was definetly a muley. I had never seen any muledeer in this area, it was surprising to see one this high up, anyway back to the story. :D

I came back off the ridge and radioed Mario that I had one located. It took them about 45 minutes to get to where I was at. I thought I was going to have to give Mario mouth to mouth but the young Lad was ready to rock. We set our packs about 150 yards from where we had the shot (fore shadow :lol: ). Then we headed up the ridge for the shot. We set up with Eric on the bipod , Mario behind him helping him find the deer and me behind Mario with the 15's. I ranged the buck at 298 yards, I told Eric to hold dead on, settle the crosshairs behind the front shoulder and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. BOOOOOM the shot was high. The buck just stayed there. "OK just relax settle the crosshairs and squeeze." BOOOM "you got him!! He's hit a little back, hit him again" By this time the buck stood up but still giving us a broadside shot. BOOOM the shot was high. He reloaded, took his time and then CLICK!!! No more bullets!!! I asked Mario where the rest of the bullets were. He said in my back pack down the ridge :) . Anyway long story short he got the bullets and Eric dropped him for good with the next shot. :D

Congradulations Eric

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/cra...csbuck22005.jpg

Great story. Is that buck still in velvet?? I thought they are all hard horned by now. Anyway, getting ready for the rifles. My wife has 23 2nd hunt. Hopefully I can get her on her first buck.

Jeff

Good buck, Yeah it looks like it is still in velvet, pretty cool congrats to the youngster

Tommy,

Thanks for the great story. It is so awesome to see our youths out there huntin. Congrats to Eric.

Hopefully we'll see you in a couple of days Tommy.

Another youngster takes a great buck! Wow, there are some beauty's this year!

Congratualtions Eric! :blink:

Thanks for posting th story and the Pics crazy..!

huntswnm,

Are you using Tommy on your 22 hunt? I was going to put in for that unit but I messed up my application and only put in for Burro's. Tommy told me that there is a good mix in 22. Do you have your heart set on either, or just a good representative of either species? Hopefully, I am able to put in for 22 next year the RIGHT way and use Tommy. -Shiras

Congratulations on the lads buck Tommy. AWESOME!!!! Nothing like watching a kid take their first deer.

Shiras,

Actually, my wife drew Unit 23. I will be doing it myself, although by the end of the hunt I may be wishing I had used his services! :P I know the area pretty good so she should have a good chance.

Jeff

P.S. Tommy, that buck is huge!! (Coues) Gets me pumped up for January!