Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Elk hunting books

Anyone read any good books on hunting elk? Recomendations Maybe something similar to Duane Adams-How to hunt Coues Deer. Thanks in advance.

Anyone read any good books on hunting elk? Recomendations Maybe something similar to Duane Adams-How to hunt Coues Deer. Thanks in advance.

The bible for anyone who wants to know more about elk in North America (and a little bit about elk/red deer in Asia, Europe, Africa and the South Pacific, too), the Wildlife Management Institute's thick and informative book whose exact title I've forgotten. I have a copy somewhere and will post the name when I find it.

It's an great book and because it's been in print a long time you should be able to find an inexpensive copy on Amazon.com, Alibris.com or Abebooks.com. A lot of the text is technical, but I can guarantee that you'll know more about elk than any of your friends if you read it.

Wayne van Zwoll's "Elk and Elk Hunting" is an easy read and provides many insights on how to hunt elk. Jim Zumbo has several titles on elk hunting, too, but I've not read them. I think J.Y. Jones did a book called "What the Elk Guides Say" or something similar for Safari Press. I've not seen it, but J.Y. usually is a thorough researcher and easy to read.

Closer to home, John Caid, who works for the White Mountain Apache Tribe, did an excellent book with fantastic photos and text about trophy elk hunting.

Try searching the three websites I listed above for "elk" and the authors I've mentioned.

Bill Quimby

I will try those and look those up that you mentioned. I like to read here and there but when I do I usually like non-fiction, informative books that you can learn from. I like all the boring stuff like History channel, etc. So thats the way my mind is geared towards. My wife just loves the History channel shows too :P ! If you think of anymore please post. Thanks!

I have found the book "Elk Hunting the West the Eastman Way" by Mike Eastman very informative and easy to understand. I would recommend it highly.