ScottAdams

Unit 23 Coues Hunt

Well, I just returned from scouting this morning with Doug, aka "the Red Rabbit", and we were able to glass up 5 bucks all of them legal in NM. Nothing big just some average deer which is fine for my 17 year-old who has the tag and Doug too I'm thinking. Hopefully we can find them again in the morning. I was only able to get photos of 3 of the bucks and they're shown below.

One of the smaller bucks.

L1000266sml.jpg

The two smaller bucks that were running together.

L1000267sml.jpg

One of the bigger bucks we saw.

L1000272sml.jpg

L1000269sml.jpg

I'll let everyone know how we do on opening day. I'll post either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

Scott

Great pictures Scott and good luck to your son and Doug! I will be looking for you to post the pictures of em on the ground.

Nice prospects! Just tie em to a tree and you could sleep late start on opening day! :blink:

Well boys the hunt didn't quite go as expected. We weren't able to hunt those bucks that I took photos of but oh well, we'll keep looking. Didn't see any bucks yesterday but did see 4 bears.

Wait to you see the one Chris (Sundevil) killed yesterday. Wow!!!! I'll let him tell the story.

Scott

Well boys the hunt didn't quite go as expected.  We weren't able to hunt those bucks that I took photos of but oh well, we'll keep looking.  Didn't see any bucks yesterday but did see 4 bears. 

Wait to you see the one Chris (Sundevil) killed yesterday.  Wow!!!!  I'll let him tell the story. 

Scott

May I ask what general area did you see these bears in (I'm hunting bear)?

timberwolf

Well we were skunked on the hunt. Finally was able to put the boy on a decent 3x3 but wouldn't you know it, he missed! Upon investigationed we found a twig that he shot through about 15 feet in front of him and believe that caused the miss. The buck was standing broadside at 207 yards and it was a clean miss. It was an enjoyable hunt but we actually saw more bears than bucks, at least after the hunt started. We saw a total of 5 bears in 2 1/2 days. Timberwolf send me an email and I'll put you on those bears. scotron@aznex.net They can be killed.

The canyon where James missed his buck.

L1000300sml.jpg

Doug doing the glassing thing.

L1000306sml.jpg

The offending twig.

L1000312sml.jpg

I'm working this weekend but will be heading over there for my hunt on Monday and will hunt the last 3 days of the hunt. I'll hunt some areas that I haven't hunted yet. Will keep all updated.

Scott

Nice pics.

Too bad about the missed shot. Hopefully he wasn't to bummed.

Saw alot of BIG BEAR sign while I was in NM. Scat as big around as a soda can!

I'm back from my hunt in NM. Amanda went along to help out and since I had to work over the weekend so we didn't start hunting unitl Monday. Monday we didn't see any bucks that we could get on and we saw lots of does. Monday evening produced a couple of muley bucks.

Tuesday morning we arrived at our glassing point with the wind whipping up at close to 40 mph! As the sun came up the wind worsened. We stuck it out and glassed until about 9 or so. We did see the biggest of the muley bucks from the day before bedded across the canyon and watched a guy miss him twice. Anyway, after 3 hours of glassing we packed up and headed back to the 4-wheeler.

Wouldn't you know it, while walking back to the ATV we kick up a decent Coues buck that was feeding in the thick junipers on top of the mountain. He ran just a little ways and then stopped and watched us. I saw forked antlers and then thought "What if the wind is blowing again tomorrow, which is the last day?" So I decided to bust him. I dropped him in his tracks with a high shoulder shot at around 50 yards with the ole 300 wsm. I'm glad to have a little venison in the freezer again and now I can hold out for a monster on the AZ December hunt.

Thank you Amanda, for the help. I wouldn't have seen that buck in time if you hadn't spotted it.

He's nothing huge but I'm very happy with him.

L1000329sml.jpg

L1000325sml.jpg

Scott

Nice job Scott. That is a nice buck. The only buck I saw on my NM hunt would score around 0 net B&C ( 5 inch spike on one side nothing on the other side, 5 inch deduction= 0 net) It was quite windy during my whole hunt.

Congrats :lol:

Scott,

That is a great buck, congrats! Thanks for the pictures and the story.