wildcat

The ongoing story of my Dec. 2010 hunt

Good luck! :)

TJ

Good luck! :)

TJ

Well I ate my tag last night for dinner. A couple buddies tagged along with me and we got to our glassing spot before light. We sat and glassed for over ten hours and froze our butts off. We were glassing smaller bucks chasing does all day. I decided to stay in that spot because of all the activity we were seeing and knew a good buck would pop up. Well at about 3 o'clock he showed up and I was ready to move in on him but he disappeared over top. I felt he would come back over later so I waited and glassed. it was about 4:45 when my friend saw some deer on a different ridge so I turned my 15's on them and saw it was a good buck chasing a doe. We packed up as fast as we could and literally sprinted across a couple ridges to get there with enough light left. Man that deer ended up being a lot further than it looked and after finally getting within my shooting range I got my bipod set up, set my turret and got him in my crosshairs. After trying to settle down and catch my breath I fired. Missed! found him again since he didn't move much and missed again. He moved a little lower and I shot again. After that shot he dropped down into the canyon and out of sight. I hurried over to where he was while my buddy walked in from the top. As he was doing that the buck ran back out on top of the ridge and out of sight. I made it over to where he was when I shot at him and the snow on the ground made it clear he was never touched. I was pretty bummed to say the least and looking back I probably let buck fever get the best of me and rushed my shot. I had a great hunt and it almost worked out perfectly. Guess I'll just have to go chase that buck with my bow now.

nothin wrong with that. sounds like you had a good hunt and probably learned a few things that will help you out in the future. thanks for sharing it with us. chris.