Sign in to follow this  
revaeb

ar-15 break in help

I just got a new DPMS AR-15. Does anybody know anything about breaking them in? It has the chrome moly barrel. The guy at the shop told me to break it down and lube it all up before I shoot it. I am going to do that, but any other advice would be great. I have read a bunch of stuff about the breaking it in. Some people say clean after every shot for like 100 rounds. Others say just shoot it. I would obviously like to get as much accuracy out of it as I can. Anyone have any experiance with either process?

Thanks!!!

well if you want to break it in quick put a 100 rounds through it and use a (Windex style bottle) with lube and keep the action dripping wet with lube. clean every mag if you want(28rds) but after the 100 clean the heck out of it

lap the barrel after that if you want... or just lap it real good then call it a day

in the USMC the break in period was 10,000rds and i still shot 10" group @ 600m with a RCO

From the action standpoint, keeping it well lubed to start is all you need. With a chrome lined barrel, there is nothing to do. It's surface is so hard that normal break in procedures will not accomplish anything.

I have the inside of the action tube greased up on my match rifle to stop the irritating "boing" noise the spring makes. You can do that if the noise bothers you,

Have fun with it.

Mike

no need to break in with a chrome lined barrel. They are made more for high volume shooting not tack driving. Doesnt mean it wont or cant be very accurate though. Chrome lined barrels are good for SHTF guns(ak's, sks, certain AR's).

I have an Armalite M15A4 with a stainless barrel. I followed Armalite's break in method and while I think it's a little overkill, I can say that the accuracy is beyond compair and more importantly, it cleans up in a matter of minutes! Other ar's I have take more effort but I did not break them in properly. I used Break Free and Sweets for the cleaner/lube. Go to their web site and download the pdf on how to break in a rifle. I do think it is worth the effort!