Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Help on Mulie hunt in Unit 23

I'm a newbie to the web site. I like to surf this site, lots of good info, threads and stories. This year I ended up with a mule deer tag for NM unit 23. Can anyone help out on some ideas on where to go? Any help would be appreciated. Good luck with the hunts!

Unit 23 is very big. I would start on the L.S. mesa (lonestar) over bear mt. just outside Silver City. Make sure you study your map and stay off private land. Alot of 30" plus bucks over the years have came from the area... Good luck..

WK

Will K, get your crap straight before you get someone in trouble! LS mesa is in unit 24, Lonestar mesa is as well, but is 30 air miles from LS. While you are right in stating that several large deer have come from the area(s) it is irresponsible to give erronious information. Take a look at the unit boundaries before giving advice would you please?

Couestracker, look through some of the old posts and glean what you can. There are several good areas to hunt in unit 23 from the desert around Deming to the areas just south of Luna. The Mule creek area gets alot of traffic and for good reason; there are some good deer numbers in that country and it is much easier to hunt than a lot of the country to its north and south. Do you have some idea of where you want to hunt? Get back with some specifics and I may be able to help you out.

Kevin

I was there last weekend (first time) and hunted around Alma and Glenwood(Sunflower Mesa and Smoothing Iron) didn't see a lot of deer but the second and third day I saw around 15-20 a day. I had my chance at two big boys, but missed.

I also hunted around Mule Creek the last night and that area would be a good choice.

If I ever go back I would probably go to the wilderness area because of the roadies (truck hunters) and smokers (quads). Be prepared, 98% of the hunters I saw were road hunting. Some had 4 guys in the back of the truck standing up. It looked like a lynching was going to happen. This was very, very discouraging. Roads are everywhere and the people drive them all day long. The areas without roads were very heavily forested so glassing and walking would have been difficult.

It was much different terrain than what I am used to and I hadn't hunted mule deer but once in high school. It was fun, if there were not so many road hunters it would have been great. I just didn't do my homework before this hunt other than looking at alot of maps.

If you need more info send me a PM.

Redman

Kevin,

You are correct and i apoligize to all... I was talking to two other hunters about unit 24 at the same time i replyed to the newbie on unit 23... My mistake...

Will K.