RoughCut

Mounting NF Scope on a Barrett 98B Issue

So call me crazy fr posting on XMAS, but new toys equal new questions.

My brother in law has a new Barrett .338 Lapua with a NF 5.5-22x56 mounted with Ultra high rings. We have an issue with having to cock our heads at a pretty extreme angle to get a full circle in the scope. As a result we are both kind of smashing our cheek bones into the stock to get in line with the scope.

Anybody have experience with this and/or similar setups. Its just odd trying to learn to shoot with our heads cocked at such an angle.

Any thoughts would be awesome.

Thanks and Merry XMAS

post-2572-1293327820_thumb.jpg

post-2572-1293327863_thumb.jpg

post-2572-1293327922_thumb.jpg

just for reference a good cheek weld should be uncomfortable and solid.. try a 20moa scope mount that will raise the rear aperture that scope has enough elevation /depression to shoot 100 to past a grand

what is the actual internal MOA of that model scope

Check weld, and consistant check weld is very important to consistant shooting. If you have to get out of your natural shooting position your shooting will suffer. You should never have to struggle to get a full sight picture. I would suggest you get some sort of check piece that will raise your check up to a better position. I have shot the barrett, and it didnt fit me at all. Even with the scope down to the rail the scope still set to high causeing me many problems. Im not sure if a stock pack will fit on a barrett, but you may look into something like that.

Forgive me, I don't know much about terminology. I have the cheek piece lowered completely. Raising to make my cheek weld or anchor point more comfortable will not allow me to have vision through my scope. When mounting the scope I mounted it moving scope forward and backwards until where I cheeked gun was in the middle of eye relief range. If you look at the barrett design the lower assembly is straight unlike most rifle stocks that are lower than the barrell. I'm thinking the only solution is getting a different lower reciever, but I don't know. As far as the scope mounts. I've shot the gun out to 1000 yards and the gun shots just like other .338 lapua's as far as bullet trajectory.I don't understand the response about using 20 MOA mounts maybe you can explain more.

Thank you

A 20 MOA base will not make your cheek weld better. If you cant get your cheek rest up higher a MOA base will actualy make it worst, due to the rear of the scope base being higher. On a 338 Lap you should be running a MOA base to allow you to have more intenal ajustments to get you out to long range, and not run out of ajustments or be at the extreme of your scope ajustments.

Looks like your rifle has a built in Pic rail. You may not be able to get a MOA base. There are rings that have inserts that give you more ajustments.

Well when mounting a 20MOA base the scope is angled moving the eye peice upword lowering the objective lense. On a normal rifle with a 20 moa scope base you have to raise the comb (cheek peice) to get good seight picture on yours it will posibly give you the angle you need to then adjust the comb to were you need to be. Also with sloped scope mounts (look at one peice 20moa mounts from knight's armorment or niteforce) when you zero your rifle at 100 or 200yrds you use the lower end of your internal scope adjustment giving you much more elevation adjustment . With a 338 you can punch paper at way past 1000. With any scope you have say 60moa adjustment and with any luck if you zero @ 100 you have 30moa of elivation luck being the key word so 30 inches of virtical movement @ 100 move that out to 1000 that's 300 inches of elevation adjustmen. Now shooting at 50 you use maybe 2moa of depresion but have 30 moa of travel that will never be used. Look and see what the trajectory is for that round and see how far it takes for it to drop 300 inches. But back on topic it will raise your eye peice some and might be better than buying a lower reciver

Oh, I thought he couldnt get proper check weld due to the scope being to high. When he said he has high scope rings, that put my mind set the other way. Sorry. As said before there are one piece mounts that can get the scope up. I think nightforce makes a nice one. Might try there. Sorry for the confusion on what way he wanted to move the scope.