huntswnm

Floating SW NM & SE AZ Rivers

Hey guys.

I am thinking about doing a float trip on the Gila River starting in SW NM and maybe ending in AZ somewhere. I have never personally done this and am looking for advice on what kind of raft to buy or build and what kind of gear would be essential. The relatively shallow river at times is what has me concerned. This would be late spring early summer.

If anyone has any tips, pictures, etc they are all welcome!!

Jeff

Hey guys.

I am thinking about doing a float trip on the Gila River starting in SW NM and maybe ending in AZ somewhere. I have never personally done this and am looking for advice on what kind of raft to buy or build and what kind of gear would be essential. The relatively shallow river at times is what has me concerned. This would be late spring early summer.

Jeff

I once made a raft trip starting on the San Francisco River at the mines at Clifton down to the Gila River and on to Safford. I forget what time of year it was, but the water was at its highest. You probably can get river-flow data from the Salt River Project office in Phoenix. If not, someone there can point you in the right direction.

This was many years ago and our "expedition" was organized by Sierra Club members and others who wanted wilderness status for the Gila Box, and it furnished all the rafts, food and gear, except for our sleeping bags. I think each raft held six people, and we had five or six rafts, if I remember correctly.

It was a two-day trip and we camped out one night along the way. We were joined at sundown by John and Cindy McCain and their helicopter pilot. (They flew back to town the next morning after listening to a pitch by the sponsoring group.)

I remember only one set of rapids -- it was against a steep wall on a sharp curve in the river -- and it tossed one of the rafts and everyone aboard. The rest of the trip was uneventful. I later made the same trip down the mostly dry riverbed with a Jeep club, when there were only a few pools of water remaining. My newspaper columns about those trips advocated allowing motorized travel through the Box during the dry seasons, but Congress obviously agreed with the wilderness advocates.

I also did three trips down Grand Canyon. Two of them were non-motorized; the third was motorized. All were with commercial rafting operators, though.

There may be some rafting opportunities below Painted Rock Dam near Gila Bend down to Yuma, but it's been a long time since I visited that area. I would suggest that you get river flow data for the river you're interested in "doing," and get someone with an airplane to fly you over it before taking off. You also will need someone to shuttle your vehicle to your take-out point, of course.

The run from Coolidge Dam (San Carlos Lake) to Winkleman at high water would be interesting, too, but I don't know whether the San Carlos Apaches would allow it. I've heard that some people also run the Verde River. There also are some commercial river runners operating on the Salt River from Salt River Canyon down to Roosevelt Lake. Here again, tribal permission would be needed.

If I were outfitting myself for running Arizona's smaller rivers, I'd want the best quality four- or six-man raft and personal floatation devices available. I don't think helmets would be needed for most rivers, but it wouldn't hurt to have them. I definitely would want several large waterproof bags made for rafting (not garbage sacks) and a couple of large steel ammo boxes. You'll need them to store your tents, sleeping bags, spare clothes and food on your raft.

I've never been in a kayak (they scare me and I'm too large for most of them anyway), but the people who like them have lots of fun in Grand Canyon. I've watched them run big rapids, then portage back upstream and run them again and again. The problem with kayaks, of course, is that you still will need a raft to carry your food and gear.

There probably are books out there that can tell you everything you will need for rafting. Check the internet.

Have fun. Wish I were younger. I'd like to join you.

Bill Quimby

Here is a link to the trip we did this summer. I LOVE floating down the river.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...c=19321&hl=

I prefer inflateable Kayaks but rafts work well too. Google AIRE products they are great but expensive. As far as gear goes I usually take the kitchen sink. These boats can handle a lot of weight and it is nice to be comfortable. Just get a couple of good waterproof bags and stick your sleeping gear and dry clothes in. Bungee everything down tight and make sure it will stay put if you roll.(you will) Also find clothes that dry quickly. We will be going again this year in the spring/summer. Your welcome to tag along with us on our trip if you like.

Hey guys.

Jeff

I once made a raft trip starting on the San Francisco River at the mines at Clifton down to the Gila River and on to Safford. I forget what time of year it was, but the water was at its highest. You probably can get river-flow data from the Salt River Project office in Phoenix. If not, someone there can point you in the right direction.

This was many years ago and our "expedition" was organized by Sierra Club members and others who wanted wilderness status for the Gila Box, and it furnished all the rafts, food and gear, except for our sleeping bags. I think each raft held six people, and we had five or six rafts, if I remember correctly.

It was a two-day trip and we camped out one night along the way. We were joined at sundown by John and Cindy McCain and their helicopter pilot. (They flew back to town the next morning after listening to a pitch by the sponsoring group.)

I remember only one set of rapids -- it was against a steep wall on a sharp curve in the river -- and it tossed one of the rafts and everyone aboard. The rest of the trip was uneventful. I later made the same trip down the mostly dry riverbed with a Jeep club, when there were only a few pools of water remaining. My newspaper columns about those trips advocated allowing motorized travel through the Box during the dry seasons, but Congress obviously agreed with the wilderness advocates.

I also did three trips down Grand Canyon. Two of them were non-motorized; the third was motorized. All were with commercial rafting operators, though.

There may be some rafting opportunities below Painted Rock Dam near Gila Bend down to Yuma, but it's been a long time since I visited that area. I would suggest that you get river flow data for the river you're interested in "doing," and get someone with an airplane to fly you over it before taking off. You also will need someone to shuttle your vehicle to your take-out point, of course.

The run from Coolidge Dam (San Carlos Lake) to Winkleman at high water would be interesting, too, but I don't know whether the San Carlos Apaches would allow it. I've heard that some people also run the Verde River. There also are some commercial river runners operating on the Salt River from Salt River Canyon down to Roosevelt Lake. Here again, tribal permission would be needed.

If I were outfitting myself for running Arizona's smaller rivers, I'd want the best quality four- or six-man raft and personal floatation devices available. I don't think helmets would be needed for most rivers, but it wouldn't hurt to have them. I definitely would want several large waterproof bags made for rafting (not garbage sacks) and a couple of large steel ammo boxes. You'll need them to store your tents, sleeping bags, spare clothes and food on your raft.

I've never been in a kayak (they scare me and I'm too large for most of them anyway), but the people who like them have lots of fun in Grand Canyon. I've watched them run big rapids, then portage back upstream and run them again and again. The problem with kayaks, of course, is that you still will need a raft to carry your food and gear.

There probably are books out there that can tell you everything you will need for rafting. Check the internet.

Have fun. Wish I were younger. I'd like to join you.

Bill Quimby

Here is where you can find the river-flow data.

http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/new/index.php?m...;r=az&w=map

Are you planning a turkey hunt???? Do you need a skipper??

HA HA HA Jason.....no not a turkey hunt, more like a weekend of catfishing from Gila to Red Rock or so but your more than welcome to tag along.

Thanks guys for the input so far. I found some videos on you tube and some guys were in kayaks and others on innertubes.

Will see how things go.

Jeff

all you need is an inner tube, some hot dogs and a couple cases of beer......

I hope the beer gets its own inner tube. Wouldn't want anything to happen. ;)