Sign in to follow this  
CouesSlayer

Success

Did you get a deer(mule or coues) in NM?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get a deer(mule or coues) in NM?

• Yes
    • No
    • Shot and Missed
    • Didn't see a deer
    • Saw only does or no good bucks

Just thought it would be cool to know who got one, and be able to show them off. Please say what kind and how big. As for me I saw a HUGE mule deer 27 inches wide, but incredibly tall. He was in a little dip on top of a big mountain, I just happened to be glassing it and saw huim right when he bedded down. We got up to where we thought we would be able to see him, but theres was no good angle that you could get a shot at him. We also flushed some quail on the way. He got away and we didn't see a decent buck the rest of the time. But how could you when it's 70 degrees at 9:00 in the morning!?!?!?!?!!

A run in with a cow on the drive in to my hunt area, resulting in a wrecked truck only left me with one afternoon and one morning to hunt. I saw 4 coues bucks worth shooting, but never could get within range (225 yards for me) with my muzzleloader. With a little more time I think I would have been successful.

Saw only does and 1 unicorn coues (one horned spike) on my hunt in NM last week in unit 24. This unit is a tough hunt for coues. Very little areas for glassing. Mostly still hunting, sitting water & natural salt licks and watching small travel routes.

Still had a great time huntin with my Dad for a week :angry:

I shot at two good mule deer that were together. The shots were long, hindsight is 20/20. I should have probably of taken the 270 yds shot instead of trying to get closer, the 270 yds shot quickly became a 400+ yds.

Seen probably 6 spikes during the hunt. Hopefully they will grow up.

Redman

I didnt get a deer, but saw 6 bucks. I only got to hunt one day of the 5 day season. Of the 6 two of them were coues, one was a big 100"+ buck the other a forky. The rest were legal muledeer. I could have shot them, but decided to hold out and see if I could find that big coues in the evening. Total I saw about 30 deer in the one day of hunting.