Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Almost

When I first moved to Arizona I went quail hunting and came across a javalina in a wash that stood broadside at 10 yards until I shooed him off. I thought, man they would be easy to kill with a bow. After nearly two seasons of trying to accomplish that "easy" task with my bow, I thought I was finally going to get it done yesterday. I had seen a group of 15 or so does and a nice 4x4 mule deer go over a ridge into a big wash. I went over the other side to try and locate them. I made my way down to the wash and came across some very fresh javalina poop. I shifted hunting modes and started to follow javalina tracks until I kicked one up in some thick stuff. He stopped at 30 yds, but it was just ot thick to shoot. I went up the hill on the side of the to see if I could locate the javelina and ended up glassing some of the does in the wash I had seen earlier. I decided to change modes again and creep up the wash towards the deer in hopes of finding the buck. When I started out the wind was right in my face. I got to within 70 yds and they bolted. They seemed curious and doubled back to check me out. They all went by me at 60 yds, but the buck wasn't with them. I thought all of the does had passed when I noticed some movement I hoped was the buck. I lifted my binoculars up to see three javalina walking straight down into the wash. I think they would have passed me at about 40 yards if they continued on their original line of travel. I got the "this is it" feeling in my stomach, which is the reason I hunt. That feeling quickly dies as the wind shifted and started blowing directly towards them. I am starting go get frustrated, but am holding out hope for my last hunting day on Monday.

I would rather shoot a deer with my bow, but for some reason my heart starts pumping faster when I see javalina. I think it is because they seem like a more attainable goal. Good luck to everyone else still trying to seal the deal.

Thanks for taking me along on your pig hunt this morning as I sip my coffee. I have been in your shoes many times over the years and know how frustrating it can be. I hunted pigs 4yrs before I finally took my first one. What I have learned, since that moment back in the 70s, the situation you discribed will happen more than everything going right. That's why it's called hunting and not killing but the one thing you have going for ya is, you aren't going to let it kick your butt. You're going back out Monday and that's the right attitude and confidence you have to have. Can't wait to hear your success story here. Good luck! :)

TJ