Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Had a Good Day

Well I wasnt supposed to be able to hunt this weekend due to work but got word late Friday evening that I was good to go. We have been hunting near my friends ranch where we have always been able to get in on some pigs but this season we just cant find them in there even though there is a ton of sign. Saturday we decide to try another area where we have seen some pigs in. After not seeing any pigs im frustrated as heck. My uncle still glassing a hillside and im just kicking dirt around, he tells me "deer". I start glassing and I start counting and I see 4 deer (Mulies), One is a good looking buck. They are pretty far away but I say "Lets go for it". As we are in pursuit we get separated, I went high he went low. I had lost the spot they were in so I stop and look around thinking this had to be close to the area they were in. Not 2 minutes later I hear the horrible wheez and I look up not even 50 yds from me the deer trot off. They didnt looked real spooked and we tried to get back on them. On the way I find a decent coues shed. :) Then I meet up with my uncle and we talked about what had happened and I show him my shed I found. So we started in the direction of the deer and about 20 yds my uncle gets a big o smile on his face, he finds a muley shed. He's thinking he has one up on me finding a bigger shed than me until I walk up and find another muley shed not 3 ft away from the one he found, it was in the tree. We ended up bumping the deer 3 more times but we werent able to get a shot off. We weren't successful but it was a fun stalk and finding sheds made it that much better.

post-3465-1295219801_thumb.jpg

Is it a match?

post-3465-1295219846_thumb.jpg

After we get back to the truck we have lunch and decide to try and find another area to find some pigs. Later on in the day we still have found no pigs. I was thinking it was still a good day, we got to put a stalk on a good Muley buck and we found some sheds. We're driving down the road and my uncle says "stop, stop, I just saw a deer". We start glassing and cant find it, after a while I see ears in a tree. I cant tell if its a buck or not. I walk up the road a bit to try to see around the tree and I find a good looking coues buck imo. The buck spots me so I just sit down on side of the hill in some cover. My uncle gives me hand signals like he's going to go after him. I am just sitting there watching this buck for about 30 mins. thinking my uncle is going after him. After about 45 mins, i'm thinking whats going on this buck is only 125 yds from me why hasn't he got to him yet? Then I look up and my uncle is standing there behind me. He never went after him. So I tell him im going after him. I try to get behind him and as i'm making my stalk another deer is standing there and has already spotted me. :angry: The deer heads toward the buck I was going after and i'm thinking they will all take off. So I turn around back down the hill thinking its over. So as im walking i'm thinking what if they didnt spook and they are still there, back up the mountain I go. I get to about 15 yds from where the buck is bedded and he's standing broad side looking in my direction ready to bust out of there. I draw my bow and the arrow falls off the rest, so again I dont get a shot and the buck goes crashing through the trees to get away. O'well it was a great day! Sorry for the long story on a unsuccessful hunt. Here is the buck as he was bedded down.

post-3465-1295221284_thumb.jpg

Great story Shelvin and sorry your stalk didn't go as planned. After years of arrows falling off my rest I finally went to the biscut. Problem solved! Thanks for sharing and there is still time for another stalk if you have a day off. Good luck! :)

TJ