Sign in to follow this  
metau

Desert Muley Help

Hey all,

I have the urge to take a mule deer this year, though I can't really say why. I've been at it for about 12+ days now, but all I seem to find are whitetails(bunch of mule deer does one day). So I think I'm doing something wrong. I dropped from about 4500' down to the 2000-3k' range and still just saw coues. I know the mule deer herds are hurting because of the drought, and was reaffirmed of this by a WM this weekend. Even tried hunting different units and various parts of the units. Been locating water sources, finding a little bit of sign, trails, etc. but still no bucks save for a forky that was running with all those does. Been pushing anywhere from roadside to ~3 miles in, so I have both the mix of crowds and of solitude, but just can't quite figure it out. Could have likely tagged out on coues by now, but the challenge of this has me determined to go this route. Does anyone have any tips on how to find these desert mulies?

Jerry

Get high and glass from a tripod. I cruise around areas that look like they might hold desert deer and look for sign. If I find tracks, crap etc. I start glassing and usually will pop a few up. Around Phoenix I seem to find more deer higher up on the mountain(in saguaro/mesquite/sage terrain) Im sure there are deer in the flats just tougher to spot!

Not sure what part of the country you are hunting in. I like the creosote flats and palo verde hills. The big boys will feed in the palo verde then head out and bed in the flats and water is usually within 3 miles.

Thanks for the pointers. I been hunting in mainly creosotes, with palo verdes being sparse. I am finding deer sign, but I think its all been coues sign. I guess I need to look for larger tracks and scat. I've been glassing, either from up high looking down or from small knolls down in the flats looking up into long draws, or across small canyons. Will be headed out on wednesday to finish out the month and will just keep at it. Thanks again everyone.

Jerry